Oil pump fitment help needed

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Guru's,
I finally have the proper oil pomp setup and I seem to be having a problem. The chain is very tight and the tolerance is very close, meaning the chain seems to have only about 5mm clearance from the engine block. I have a new crank sprocket and a new chain; can you run this set-up without a shim? It looks like they all came with a 5mm shim on the forward mounting area and should I have more clearance between the chain and the block?

Thanks, and of course any pictures would help :)
oil pump chain.JPG

There is a spec for the chain tightness , that's what the shims are for , to get the correct tightness, there are different thickness of shims as well to accomplish the correct chain tension. that being said I wonder if you got the correct oil pump sprocket?
I think there are several different sprockets available and they have to match the chain length . I quit using the shims period decades ago , I use the b35 set up with tensioner spring . so to answer your question , yeah if it gets you the correct tension you can run the pump with out the shims

Thanks so much, I have 2 sprockets- I'll try the original one, the other one I had looked better but maybe that's the problem.

There's a trick that some use with different size gears.
Race motors use a bigger gear because engine is running at higher rpm all the time. Slows down the pump.
Smaller gear for street motors.
The guys that race these motors actually have problems with too much oil in the rocker arm area.
It throws it out the breather pipe.
They put restriction in the oil supply holes in the block where they go into the head to cut down the supply.
This happened to me when I auto crossed my car and drove around in 2nd or 3rd gear at 3-5k rpm.
Parked the car and saw a big puddle on the ground where oil was coming out the breather.
I have Webers so oil breather pipe is open and not connected like a FI engine.

Well, I ordered a bunch of shims, put on the old sprocket and things look promising, I will post a bunch of pictures when I start the assembly and you guys can point out where I'm making errors :)

Back