oil tube

hyochem

Reaction score
i screwed up... bad. i sheared the screw which holds the little oil tube that sits inside of the head ontop of the rockers, right under the cover. i sheared it off when it was all the way in, put in the oil tube and basically capped off the hole where the screw head was supposed to go. someone please tell me what i should do and if i should start it with the jury rigged setup i have now.

Don't drive it until it's fixed. The bolt you broke is a hollow bolt that routes oil into that pipe to lubricate the cam and rockers.

An EZ Out is worth a try. You might even be able to tap an appropriately sized screwdriver or chisel into the open end of the bolt shaft and get it turning.

When you replace it, get the updated version from the dealer that has threadlocker on it.

And you didn't screw up that bad. On one my e9, the "professional" who rebuilt the head assembled the springs and washers for one rocker arm in the wrong order, causing it to be off-center of the valve. The only solution? Pull the rocker shaft. On my other car, one of the rocker shafts is the wrong one (a front instead of a rear), so none of the three rockers line up correctly on the valves. The only solution? You guessed it.

THOSE are bad screw ups, in particular because they were both committed by people who charge money to work on BMWs...

be careful with the ez-out

you have to keep the torque on them absolutely centered. they are hardened steel and really brittle. But, with reasonable care, you will get that broken banjo bolt out as others have described. If the ez-out breaks, well, then you'll know what "reasonable force" is not.

thanks guys! i will take the rocker cover back off and do what you suggested. wether it will start is questionable... i dont really know if anything is hooked up right. the head was redone by a very elderly man who really should not have done it (he did it without asking apparently, or something) i dont know if the valves are adjusted right, i think the timing is set, and i have no idea if i have the distributor hooked up right... at all... there is a big electrical connection with like an 8 prong plug that doesnt go to anything (that i can find). regardless, it must run

Back