One direction of flasher relay and wipers not working

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all

My Italian delivered 72 csi has a funny problem. The left turn signal works but the right turn signal and wipers do not work. Appreciate any thoughts on what the problem and solution might be

Here’s some background.

Both turn signals used to work. However they flashed only once on the instrument panel even though they would continue flashing until I return the stalk back to the middle position.

Based on findings on this site, I purchased an electronic relay and Installed it as it should be. Or so I think. Now the left turn signal works like a charm (multiple blinks on dash) but the right turn signal doesn’t engage(no tick tick sound and no blinker).

The wiper never did and still doesn’t work.

Oddly enough when I put in the old relay I get the left turn signal to work but the right turn no longer engages. It used to turn on, albeit with only one blink, but it no longer does that even.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Sid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wiper motor most likely. Be sure the ground wire (brown) is connected.

I was able to easily use an e12 motor, which are way cheaper than an E9 motor. Just had to move the wiring a bit

Look at my post on the bottom or the thread here. Fixed my blinker issue:

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/turn-signal-and-hazard-clicking-way-too-fast.12371/

Thanks teahead. Great post. I followed it to a tee. Bought the exact same parts installed exactly in the same way. I was tempted to think the new relay was bad but the bizarre thing is I put the old OEM flasher back in and the right turn signal does not work whereas it did before, hence I wonder if its something else?

i think it sounds like electrical current isn't flowing through the switch to the relay or to the lights. i think you need to use a voltage tester and see if the power is leaving the switch with the blinker in each position ... keep in mind that it goes to 2 places - the emergency flasher and the turn signal switch.

power leaves the fusebox on fuses 2 + 3, which powers the light switch. power then goes to the 9 pin plug connector and on to the turn signal switch (it has one wire that is connected to the ignition switch). the turn signal connects to the flasher switch (thru the turn signal connector), which then connects to the flasher relay and also sends power to the turn signals. the right side are blue with black and the left side is blue with red.

the link to the light in the speedo leaves the flasher relay (goes thru the 6 pin gauge connector and to the speedo). black with white wire.

if you take the lower steering column cover off, turn the key on and hit the blinker switch, you should be able to see the power flowing with a tester. if you don't then you need a switch. if it goes thru the switch, try the flasher switch ... then the flasher relay.

i think it sounds like electrical current isn't flowing through the switch to the relay or to the lights. i think you need to use a voltage tester and see if the power is leaving the switch with the blinker in each position ... keep in mind that it goes to 2 places - the emergency flasher and the turn signal switch.

power leaves the fusebox on fuses 2 + 3, which powers the light switch. power then goes to the 9 pin plug connector and on to the turn signal switch (it has one wire that is connected to the ignition switch). the turn signal connects to the flasher switch (thru the turn signal connector), which then connects to the flasher relay and also sends power to the turn signals. the right side are blue with black and the left side is blue with red.

the link to the light in the speedo leaves the flasher relay (goes thru the 6 pin gauge connector and to the speedo). black with white wire.

if you take the lower steering column cover off, turn the key on and hit the blinker switch, you should be able to see the power flowing with a tester. if you don't then you need a switch. if it goes thru the switch, try the flasher switch ... then the flasher relay.

Thank you so much I will give this a go.

No power flowing to either from the stalk when I turn the switch to either left or right position. For that matter, no power flowing to the ignition light either. (Just to be clear Ignition is set to power up and I’m using a voltmeter set to 20v, grounding black and touching red to the source). Assuming I’m doing this right and getting no power, does it sound like I need a new switch (ie turn signal stalk?)

Many thanks
Sid

sidcc said:
Now the left turn signal works like a charm (multiple blinks on dash) but the right turn signal doesn’t engage(no tick tick sound and no blinker).

No power flowing to either from the stalk when I turn the switch to either left or right position.

Now I'm confused. How can the left turn signal work like a charm without any voltage at the output from the TS switch?

Have you confirmed that when the left signals are on, that both the dash indicator and the LF and LR exterior bulbs are flashing? How about on the right side - do any bulbs (dash or exterior) flash with the TS switch set to right?

Both turn signals used to work. However they flashed only once on the instrument panel even though they would continue flashing

When you write "they would continue flashing" I assume you meant the exterior bulbs. Just getting one flash of the dash indicator is a pretty common problem with the old, mechanical flasher units.

there is no power to the stalk unless the key is on, just to be clear, you do have the key on - right?

in looking at the wiring diagram, power to the turn signals goes from fuse 1 to the left turn signal (gray + yellow) + from fuse 3 to the right turn signal (gray + white) ... which starts at the light switch for the parking lights. presumably when you pull the light switch to the first position, all turn signals come on as parking lights -

in closer look at the power side of the emergency flasher switch, fuse 4 powers the emergency flasher switch at terminal 30 (red / white wire). when depressed, it sends power to the flasher relay thru terminal 49 (green / violet). this is for the emergency flashers. out of curiosity, does this work ... it should work whether the key is on or not?

the power to the turn signal switch comes on the green wire from the ignition switch (green wire) and it goes through a connector before it gets to the turn signal switch (connecting at terminal P). with the key on, this is the connection to check for power to the switch. the tie to the lights goes through fuse 1 (gray / yellow) + fuse 3 (gray / white) at terminals PL + PR. if you activate the switch, then it sends power to left (blue / red) or the right (blue / black). also if you activate the switch, it send power to the flasher relay (green / yellow wire) starting at the switch connector (terminal 54 on the switch to terminal 7 on the connector to terminal 49a on the flasher relay. this also connects to 49a on the flasher switch. terminal KBL on the flasher relay sends power to the indicator light on the speedo (black / white wire).

summary, the indicator light is the last thing to check ... if everything else is working and the light isn't ... either the bulb is burned out, the wiring is grounding out or the flasher relay is screwed. first thing to check (with the key on) is the green wire from the ignition switch giving power to the turn signal switch. then verify whether you have power that comes from the headlight switch (either on the gray / yellow or gray / white wires). if you have power in these locations, activate the turn signal to the right and see if you have power at the blue / black wire.

Ok after a long day under the steering column I’ve determined a couple things.

1. I should not quit my day job which, coincidentally, has nothing to do with working on classic cars

2. The flasher switch connector is located directly behind the steering column. The reason I had no power was it had come undone and I didn’t realize it! Doh!

3. The reason my right turn signal wouldn’t work has something to do with the contact inside the stalk... when i push down with some pressure the turn signal switches on! Now I just need to figure out why that’s the case and I’ll be set! Guess i will begin by freshening it up w contact cleaner.

Many thanks for all those who took the time to read my inane post and provide advice.

Sid

good to hear. with electrical things, always start to rule out the little / simple things. all wires / connectors are together falls into that category. this can help save large expenditures on expensive electrical parts unnecessarily. i have done this and will probably do it again.

Back