Opinions Wanted - Time to move my E9 on to a new caretaker, how should I do it?

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
After 8 years of ownership, it is time for me to part ways with my 1973 BMW 3.0 CS in Agave Green. This car spent a majority of its life in Northern and Southern California and was originally an automatic that was converted to a 5 speed by SFDon back in 2015. Car is currently south of Seattle in the Tacoma area. I am looking for opinions on the best way to sell it. Should I just get it on a lift and do the BaT route along with all the positives and negatives that entails.

Car spent most of its life in San Anselmo, then moved down to Southern California and was in Coupe King's hands for a bit (new dark tan leather interior, carpet and door panels installed) then in the Sherman Oaks area when I picked it up and kept it in the Bay Area until the pandemic, when I moved up to Seattle area.

I just have not had much chance to drive it since moving to Seattle as I am super busy going back and forth to the Bay Area every few weeks so I don't want to see it sit any longer.

FWIW, I drove it up to Tacoma from SF in Spring of 2020 when I moved. One day, 800 miles, what a treat...

Has a newer radiator (maybe 1000 miles on it, installed when we did the 5 speed), a new water pump and belts in 2019.

Have new rear lenses for it from Stan, new hood pads and some other miscellaneous parts, including a set of 1974 wheels (I just like the look of those).

Just looking for some opinions on the best way to find a new home for it.

FEsjOCdVU2TdedACGeugNFIeC.jpeg
1ebGeiFBlHphDTXbZdGFCpeJx.jpeg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BaT takes two months but returns the best price. If you list everything you know and answer questions promptly it isn’t that bad. It needs good underside shots on a lift and clean it first. If someone here in your area sees it they could add their comments as validation of your write up.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might be a good time to list on BAT not a single E9 listed this month other than the CSL

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Picture should show a 5 speed gear shift surround on the console try to nip annoying comments and questions in the bud
Yep, I have not started taking photos yet. These are from SFDon's place in Alameda when I dropped it off for the conversion... Good eye!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
looks awesome!

Definitely BAT if you're not in a rush, can provide answers to peeps in the Comments, and can provide TONS of pictures and at least one good walkaround video (including a cold start). Driving video a bonus.

You can always start here too with the same. Lots of enthusiasts on here can provide extra comments/advice, but you'll need to specify a price.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its a nice looking coupe, and IMHO '73 is a great model year. the exterior / interior color combination is quite nice ... and there are some excellent contributors to the car (@sfdon + Coupeking). i agree with Rob, post it here with pics / price (mentioning that it is going on BaT) and try to sell it in the community and start the process with BaT. If you don't sell it, edit the price out of the post and follow @HBChris' BaT approach.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Yeah, I could swear in the past, if you listed it anywhere on the 'net prior to listing it on BaT, then BaT would refuse to let you list it with them. But this was many years ago (2011) when I was selling the 1974 Granatrot. Removing the price makes sense. I will probably try here first because I would prefer to sell to someone in this community if possible.

Rob, if you ever come over by Day(s) Island, feel free to come see it.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might be a good time to list on BAT not a single E9 listed this month other than the CSL
I it is the best way to sale E9 is BAT, like me, I really don't know price of my car people will set the price for you, I want to sale mine in BAT soon will pup up, but you should have a nice picture have professional take a picture, I spend $1200 for pictures, will see how much people will pay for my car.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Get it detailed preferably with a paint correction
Hire a (real) professional to take great pictures at an optimum time in a beautiful location
Put it on a lift with the wheels off and take extensive pics of all known areas
Cold start
Take a 5 min driving video with a rear mounted Gopro style camera through a beautiful section of roads. Do not have your buddy sit next to you with his iPhone filming. It's worth it to go that little bit extra.

It's my opinion your car would show extremely well at the golden hour. Do not take pics in a parking lot at high noon. It'll cost you thousands...

All my 2 cents