Original battery

bela22

Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone know what brand/type is the original battery came with a 72 csi euro edition ?what color?
Or which is the closest one in appearance and functionality?
need to know it for a nut and bolt resto , all details has to be original.

thx:bela

Dave B

Reaction score
Understand there are purists out there but,

Battery to match original?? Wot?? Do you manage to get 1970's air for the tyres? :lol:

bela22

Reaction score
Dave you helped me a lot with your comment...

thanks for your advice pmansson !

Dave B

Reaction score
Sorry, sorry, sorry

bela22,

My apology - no offence was intended - my remark was meant to be light hearted, and was made to poke some fun only.

I do understand there are purists out there who want absolutely everything to be correct. Good luck to them - the perfect, unmolested e9 is a good thing in my opinion as it lets us know from time to time how things were and could be on our cars which are not in this condition. ( like mine ) They are THE perfect reference guide.

About 14 years ago, I drove my recently restored CSi about 400 miles to a BMW show. I was there simply to visit, but the organisers and marshals very quickly had a hangar door open, and my car brought inside and put on display. I was proud.

A few minutes later, a beautiful CSL with bat kit was lovingly taken off a trailer, pushed into place next to my car. The trailer was taken off and hidden somewhere, and then husband and wife pulled their his n hers matching cleaning kits from the boot and went to town wiping, polishing everything.

My car still had some of those 130mph wasps on the front.

I spoke with the guy and he told me he had not driven his car for almost 3 years. My car is as precious to me as his is to him. I cannot fault the guy for his love and care for his vehicle, but I was not on my hands and knees with black boot polish and a tooth brush doing between the tyre treads.

Different strokes for different blokes.

I am sure you will get advice on the correct make, type, colour of battery as many on the board have this type of knowledge.

Once again, I'm sorry!

bela22

Reaction score
Dave,

No bad feelings,thanks for the story!

...and yes I preserved some fresh air from the 70's .just to put in the last piece of puzzle. :lol:

seriously ,I managed to find original Michelin XWX tyres(NEW!) ,and put them on 14 ALPINAS (again,original 1972 ,not the later ones that was used on the 6 -series)

I'd post some pics of the resto job if I knew how to...

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I don't know if this is useful, but the US spec 2002 that I bought new in November 1972 had a Varta battery with a white case.