OT: looking for an E34 Parts Car

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gruppe:

Does anyone have a lead on a decent E34 parts car in or near Southern California? Any model will do (525, 535, 530, 540). because I need all the little bits and pieces, some body parts, window lifts, trim, etc etc.

My nephew is turning 16 and will inherit my old E34 as his first car. It is a 1991 535 5-speed I originally bought off Craigslist in 2005. It had a bad transmission and would kick out of gear between 1st and 2nd. I replaced the OEM transmission with a Getrag 265 from a 1985 E23, and replaced the leaky diff with an LSD in my one-car garage in Laguna Beach. The car is a beast, with the B35 and 265; best car I've ever owned.

This was my daily driver until 2009, and I kept it as a fun weekend car until 2014 when I was getting divorced and had to get rid of everything non-essential. Gave it to my sister and her husband, and they drove it for a couple years until he started hearing an engine noise and parked it. (I suspect the engine noise was just the standard M30 ticking but was living far away.).

Unfortunately it has sat at their property, parked and deteriorating in the sun. Recently as their son has gotten closer to driving age, we revived it. The good news is it still runs and drives like a motherf**ker. It is as much fun to drive as it was back then. The bad news is it has been sitting in the sun rotting for several years, with all the usual problems. Rubber and seals are shot, windows dont open, doors are seized, interior is shot, paint is a disaster, rust, etc.

I've taken it down to a mechanic and body & paint guy in Baja who will do the rehab work very cost effectively. The mechanic has an E34 535 of his own and knows every inch of the model. He maintains my E53, which is the only reason I keep it as my daily driver, and kept my E39 on the road until the catalytic converters gave out.

However, we could use a lot of parts. It would be far easier to get a decent parts car for all the little bits and pieces needed. There was a good 535 wrecked with running engine and 5 speed in Anaheim, but the seller wanted a deposit before I could even view the car. Scam.

So, any leads are welcome. Thanks.

(If this is in the wrong place and should be posted in Off Topic instead, please say the word and I will repost it.)

Attachments

• IMG_3060.jpeg
    IMG_3060.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3061.jpeg
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 31
My son's first car was a 525i 5 speed. Great cars and fun to drive. Alas, the appearance bits are difficult to bring back. Good luck.

Back