OT: Paint Progress

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
A few of you know that I am restoring a 73 Bronco for my 16 YO son.

I finally primed it a few days ago, sanded it out today, and sprayed 3 coats of color (Ford Midnight Blue Metallic). WOW!! That was fun!

I had a couple of small sags in the rear quarters that I was able to sand out between coats and then respray. So far the paint is flawless. I really like PPG Dextron...(DBU).

I must say, having a real "big boy" compressor has totally changed the nature of the painting process. I get smooth even flow all through the shoot, and never have to wait for the compressor to catch up.

I'll clear it tomorrow, and then post some pics.

Can't wait to paint my E9!!!

S

Can't wait to see pics. Overhaulin' just did over a similar Bronco and kept it pretty much periodic correct. Very cool looking.

You have a VERY lucky Son!

So i have to ask Scott,
Did the police show up from complaints from neighbors regarding smell/fumes!!!

The cops showed up at my bros when he sprayed his CS (two tone ala earlier Schnitzer livery) in his driveway (Monterey area) last month. So I don't think we can paint mine there....doh!

If you want practice spraying a two tone E9 track car, I'm looking for a painter :wink:
Mines just about ready to go.......see pic in 2800cs section.

-shanon
sf,ca

I have been super careful to only spray when the neighbors are gone. It has led to some logistical complexity, but, so far so good.

I am spraying in my garage. I built a frame out of 2x2's and stapled 4 mil plastic on the celing and all sides., then I put a plastic/paper drop cloth on the floor. I open the grage door about 4 inches and have three 20 inch box fans at the back door blowing out. The effect is a slight breeze at the floor, and very good vapor clearing.

I am also fortunate to live with a backyard on a park, so there is actually only one neighbor to be concerned with.

I cleared the body today. looks fab...A little orange peel, but that shoudl be easy to cut with 2000 grit and polish out. Shoudl be very clean when done.

Now, on to the body install, and then I can spray the doors, grille, hood tailgate and windshield frame.

I am so looking forward to being past this point!!!

S

I am also fortunate to live with a backyard on a park,

Yep, the only park in California with metallic blue trees, just the color of your E24...

too funny.
a gallery of 'Insta-Maacos' and tales of covert and questionable operations during CS resto's could be funny.

probably look like images of Prohibition day 'Shine still/operations with Technicolor shrubbery...

good luck!
-shanon

Scott, please tell me more about your compressor

My 30 year old Sears has died and my efforts to resuscitate it have been unsuccessful so far.

What did you get and where did you buy it? Also, what are the motor's amp requirements?

Thanks, Bill

Paint Questions

A few questions, if you don't mind...

What type of paint is PPG Dextron...(DBU). Is it laquer, enamel, or polyurethane?

I painted a few 2002 years back, and I'm mulling over whether or not to paint my coupe as well.

I liked the flexibility that lacquer provided, but it is no longer available here in MA.

I'd love to see your pics and any advice you could pass along.

Thanks in advance.

I an using a Craftsman Pro 80 gallon 2 stage compressor. Produces about 18 scfm at 175 PSI. 240 VOlt, 30 Amp

My advice on compressors is go as big as you can afford. Painting with a big compressor is a breeze. You MUST also use an in line oil and water filter.

PPG Dextron is part of a 2 stage polyurethane system. The color base coat is DBU. THere is also a series of corresponding Dextron clearcoats, but I used Transtar. Seems to work fine.

The MOST critical things about painting, from my experience are: clean.. Clean and clean again, AND set your gun properly. The times I have had poor paint application have all been traced to either unclean surfaces or improper gun setup.

S

Back