OTOTOTO

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been an E9 owner about a week now and happy to join this group for some help and community.
This is my second BMW, first being the e28 pictured below. I've had that about 2 years and did alot of restomod work to it. (airbag suspension, full interior, audio, details) (BMW_OTOTOTO in instagram for more pictures if you're interested)

The E9 is expect to stay more on the stock side because its a work of art on its own, however I do plan to do something special with the interior. More to come. I do expect a full strip and repaint but probably after a few years after I've had fun driving it a bit in its petina phase. For now, low hanging fruit, rust mitigation, maintenance, and fun parts.
I've been an automotive designer about 10 years plus another 6 with aerospace design, making spacetravel as cool as driving. :) Most of my career has been dedicated to interiors so definitely looking forward to this personal project.

OK Pretty pictures:

qrdUUYn.jpg

dhwe9lp.jpg

ghKmny8.jpg

IAuNlOD.jpg

I spent this weekend checking hidden areas for rust and its about what I expected. Mostly small bits of surface rust. There is a patch behind the front fender that needs attention and a bit under the floorpans and trunk. Under the seats/carpets look really good. Interior is better than I expected, should be salvageable (although I'm leaning towards a non-blue interior, sorry). Engine is in good shape, kind of dirty at the bottom but not leaking. Heads were recently done as well as trans synchro's, dual webers, otherwise stock, looks like it was maintained well. Engine definitely feels smooth and low miles. Much more to come but I'll move my notes to a build page. Overall I'm super excited to finally have a Polaris silver 3.0 in my garage!

My dumb questions/mild annoyances so far:

I have a security nut on the wheel but missing key. Removal strategy needed.
Assuming most things are metric? I want to switch fasteners to new and stainless soon.
No fuel pump at the tank is annoying. Assuming its mechanical.
Did the Petri tri spoke steering wheel ever come with wood?
How does one get a passenger side mirror?
The hood arms go past center easily and don't seem to lock out.
LED headlights that look OEM with glass housings?
My brake light wont go off. E brake off and fluid level is fine.
Reflectors are ugly. US addition?
What's the difference in center consoles? Some have a cubby in the middle.

OGCHwbU.jpg

Last edited:

m73

Reaction score
Welcome. Nice Coupe!

For brake light...check under your e-brake rubber boot. If the switch holder is cracked then the contact does not work hence light is 'ON' 24/7

Looks like you have a US dash so maybe the reflectors are also for US model. I would just leave the back but the front is hideous -- there should not be a light there so maybe remove them and leave the two small holes?

I have the same wheels and that is great shot showing the rear of your coupe -- the wheel lip is what I like best on mine.

You seem to be missing rear bumper overriders or underriders (not sure which is correct) -- the coupe looks more finished with them IMHO.

-Mo

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a security nut on the wheel but missing key. Removal strategy needed.
Is it the BMW locking style or the squiggly lug wrench key? Squiggly lug wrench ones can be spun off by a tire shop.
Assuming most things are metric? Yes. I want to switch fasteners to new and stainless soon.
Stainless are OK for trim screws, not OK for anything needing high tensile strength
No fuel pump at the tank is annoying. Assuming its mechanical. Yes, you have carbs, it is run off the cam.
Did the Petri tri spoke steering wheel ever come with wood?
As far as I know the stock 3-spoke wood rim steering wheel was made by Petri yet is not the Petri people want.
How does one get a passenger side mirror? Try sales @blunttech.com or getbmwparts.com
The hood arms go past center easily and don't seem to lock out.
Most likely the torsion spring has no tension, use a broom stick or other hood prop until fixed.
LED headlights that look OEM with glass housings? No, get Hella H1 & H4 from rallylights.com or Daniel Stern Lighting.
My brake light wont go off. E brake off and fluid level is fine. Check switch at emergency brake as mentioned.
Reflectors are ugly. US addition? Yes, remove fronts & rears for that Euro look.
What's the difference in center consoles? Some have a cubby in the middle. Air conditioning has no space, no air conditioning has a wood paneled space under the air controls & radio.

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! I checked out the parking brake and seems to be intact. Went back to the brake fluid reservoir and found the floater piece is full of fluid and not pressing against the switch. Pressing by hand confirmed to work. Got a new one on order now.

Lock looks like a squiggly.

F677D615-EF72-4E16-871A-0184F8C6FD2D.jpeg

I love the petri look. Keep seeing it in photos but none for sale yet.

5C26EDDC-3751-46D8-81D2-8AF301A3B2D2.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah, that wheel lock can be spun off with a pounded on socket, there's also a socket with pins inside to remove this easier. May need to pay a couple of bucks to have a shop remove them.

So you want the wood rimmed CS wheel? I have a few of those, yet need to be re-veneered as they are rough.

This is the usual Petri people look to find.
Petri 400mm.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the club/forum. You will find a great variety of parts for sale on the forum under Parts. You will also want to look at the website "BringaTrailer.com" to see the Coupes that have crossed the auction block. Looking at the sellers' photos will show you the parts you are missing or need to be replaced.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @OTOTOTO,

Welcome! Before getting creative with the wheel lock, take it to a tire shop. They usually have most of the common wheel lock keys handy.

If not, you can just buy a 19mm black oxide nut. Have it plug welded it to the face of that lock. It sounds complicated but would take a fabricator more time to setup the machine than it would to do the work.

Any off-road, hot rod, or metal fab shop can do it. Hot rod shops will cost the most. If you go to a car place make it a 3/4 black oxide nut to match their SAE tools. Pick up a set of new M12x1.5 lugnuts.

Edit: You can get the black oxide nut from Triangle Hardware in Hermosa Beach. :D

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome! You said you wanted a Petri steering wheel? There is one for sale on e9coupe classifieds:

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take a look at the Nardi wood wheels. My favorite.

Love a good Nardi wheel too. I have a deep corn Nardi when in the 5 series. Was also considering swapping it over to the e9 but the stack up is too deep.

Attachments

• 2903AEE7-FF45-4A0B-B048-B9CB2867B56E.jpeg
    2903AEE7-FF45-4A0B-B048-B9CB2867B56E.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 135