Outer tie rods.

gwittman

Reaction score
I recently had to replace the right outer tie rod. I started by going to Mesa Performance to obtain the part. I was told they are no longer available but another BMW model part will work. I think it was the tie rod for an E12. I was told it is different but has been used many times in an E9. I had it ordered.

When I got home I did some research on the correct E9 tie rod. I found out they are available but are about 3 times the cost of the E12 part. I call Mesa Performance to let him know that the E9 tie rod is available and he insisted the E12 part would work fine. I told him I liked his price better and would like to use it but if I had any doubts it would work, I would have to cancel the order.

When it came in, I compare it to my old one and the bend was in the opposite direction on the E12 part. I told him I could not install that part knowing there may be certain conditions where it could hit a part of the suspension. He said there are at least 20 cars running like that. I still couldn't take it. I asked if he could check again to see if he could order the correct one. He did and surprise, they are still available and he ordered it. There were 30 available at that time. I was told the "classic program" BMW has established is bringing a lot of NLA parts back for us but at a significant cost increase..

Below is a picture of my good left tie rod. As you can see the tie rod is curved to clear the lower suspension arm pivot bolt. The E12 tie rod is curved in the opposite direction and would be in contact with the bolt. This position is a worse case full lock turn on the steering with the car off the ground but it is pretty obvious that it is risky to use the E12 tie rod. I am pretty sure the E12 part would work OK with the car on the ground but caution would need to be taken when lifting the car or going over big bumps with the steering turned.

Coupe_tie_rod.jpg

Back