Overdoin?!

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ever wonder what would happen if Chip Foose got hold of an e9? This car used to be Scott Davis's, and I think before that it was DanG's, with another owner in between.

The engine makes me drool, and the custom bumpers are sweetness, but the rest is a bit "blingy" for my taste. :roll:

Overhauled e9

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I wonder why it is running Tec3, as I didn't see any FI to make it a requirement. At least they threw some Stahl's on there along with a custom intake manifold. I do not like the interior, the wood+black original color scheme is a significant parts of the car's class. Plus, imagine how much Lexol they have to use to keep it from cracking!

I do not know why they got rid of the dagmars, I think they look cool on the car, help break up the fron end a bit. Plus, there is such a thing as too much chrome, and those wheels are it.

andrey

Reaction score
what do you mean? they have throttle body injection, using what look like TWM throttles. They of course need an ECU to control that, and Tec3 is a really good one. If you look closely you can see all six injectors very clearly :)

also I think that car looks awful, but I'm not into the 'pimp my ride' crap. the engine bay is neat though.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
what do you mean? they have throttle body injection, using what look like TWM throttles. They of course need an ECU to control that, and Tec3 is a really good one. If you look closely you can see all six injectors very clearly :)

also I think that car looks awful, but I'm not into the 'pimp my ride' crap. the engine bay is neat though.

Sorry, wrong FI acronym. In this case, I was thinking of "Forced Induction", rather than "Fuel Injection". My error.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's got 6 TWM ITB's. I don't know the whole story, but apparently the guy dumped serious $$$ into the engine, like 20 large. Too bad, he could have hung a TCD stage II on a stock 3.5 and had more HP... Much about this car puzzles me. I mean, if you've got the money to burn and you want a hairy NA engine, why not build an S38?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
'scuse my ignorance but what is an S38 engine???
Malc

S38 is the DOHC version of the M30. It was used in the E28 and E34 M5, as well as the E24 M6 and the South African E23 745s.

If only the head lined up with the M30 block...

Most assuredly, velocewest, if going NA, the S38 is the only way to go, since the M30 has been shown to top out at less than 300rwhp maxxed out NA.

Malc

Reaction score
Thanks, though in the UK we had an M535 with a SOHC (12valve) of which I have one slightly deceased and then the "true" M power 24valve job, very rare, basically too expensive and most have "died" going through hedges backwards on a rainy day
Malc

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Thanks, though in the UK we had an M535 with a SOHC (12valve) of which I have one slightly deceased and then the "true" M power 24valve job, very rare, basically too expensive and most have "died" going through hedges backwards on a rainy day
Malc

I understand, a working S38 usually runs about 8k stateside with all the electricals. they usually need a full head rebuild after 100k miles.

Malc

Reaction score
Humm expensive. My old e28 M535 is quoted at 235bhp which concidering its 3.5 litres isn't that much above a 3.0 Csi at 220bhp
sounds scary the amount of money to rebuild, quote the same numbers (8000) in pounds over in the uk.... oh dear
Thanks for the info
Malc

keefer

Reaction score
Malc, check your figures

Malc,

The 3.0cs stock hp rating was 170hp, making the csi probably somewhere around 185hp if you are lucky. I see that often though, for some reason coupe hp figures are always being quoted much higher than they actually were. All you have to do is look at old bmw brochures and tech documents and the info is there.

BTW, I'm having trouble getting to that link, anyone else?

corsachili

Reaction score
BMW is usually pretty conservative when it quotes performance numbers. The disparity between BHP ratings may be due to the fact that they quote DIN (european measure) vs our SAE derived rating.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Horsepower ratings

E9 numbers used at least 3 different systems. Euro cars used the DIN numbers, US (and maybe Britain?) cars used gross HP through 71, then net HP for 72 on.

In 72, most US model cars had compression ratios dropped to run on regular gas, dropping HP ratings even more. BMW, Porsche and others increased displacement to at least partially compensate performance.