Packzettel

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found a Packzettel, or Laufzettel slip under their rear seats? I'm not sure if they're the same thing, but according to Historiches Archiv you can send it to them so they can track that particular car's options. I found a Packzettel under my seats.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Build Sheet

I found a yellowed pice of paper glued to the wall behind the rear passenger seat, it has four numbers, 3436. Is this the build sheet? The Archive only confirmed my build date and color.

I had a `67 230SL and under the driver's seat, between the spring and horse hair pad, was a true build sheet. It listed every option code, paint code, trim code, etc. It was a narrow strip of paper that was torn/removed from a larger sheet that was used during the build process.

Mario L.

Reaction score
Len,

Was this under the rear seats? This is the car from ME, right?

It is as close to a build sheet you'll find on a BMW. I've found these on the older cars, some E30 M3s, but only on cars that haven't been all apart and very original.

funny story, a couple years ago we were building an E30 M3 for racing. High mileage but very original car. Under the rear floor carpet, (these cars have one piece carpeting) we found a beer bottle cap, well adhered to the sound deadening. It was from a bottle of SPATEN . .brewed in Munich. I mentioned this to a BMW AG employee at an event, his reply, Back then beir was regularly consumed on the factory floor . .

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,

The paper I found does not have any numbers, but does list a series of components: jack, tool kit, etc.

Mario, yes, the car from Maine, originally owned by Bob Reynolds. I'm not surprised by the beer cap; my rear seat foam is signed by a worker named Peter!

I'll try to post a scan of the Packzettel...

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's the response I received from BMW re: the difference between a Packzettel and a Laufzettel:

Dear Mr Soccolich,

No, this is not the Laufzettel. The Packzettel tells the people who prepare
the car for delivery which type of manual, Accessories etc. they have to add
before delivery. The Laufzettel is used during the actual production of the
car and tells the people on the assembly line, what extras they have to
build into the car. Usually the Laufzettel has only numbers and much less
text. Usually it is found under the rear seat bench.

Yours sincerely,

BMW Group
Andreas Harz
Mobile Tradition
Group Archives / ST-1
General Archive Services
80788 München
Phone: +49 89 382-68281
Fax: +49 89 382-24765
mailto: [email protected]
http://www.bmw-grouparchives.com

Mario L.

Reaction score
Cool,
Learn something every day . . I need to pay closer attention to these slips when I find them . . . wasn't aware of the difference

Thank you for posting the reply!

Mario L.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is kind of cool, especially if you're a bit of a history detective and value originality... I have to go back and see if there's a Laufzettel under my seats.

pmansson

Reaction score
OK, so there are 2 kind of paper slips.
What do the 4 digit paper slips mean though???
First digit is interior finish, second digit transmission choice or what.....???
I would love to sit down and talk to one of the workers who assembled these cars in Munich back in the 70s. Everything from rusty bodies which had to be returned to Karmann in Osnabruck, lots of beer being consumed during the hot summer days, poor door/fender alingnment, how the interior roofliner was mounted, how the CSL line was operated etc etc.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So the Laufzettel is the build sheet and the Packzettel lists the remaining items that are added at the very end. Like Peter, I would like to know what the four numbers mean. It was glued to the rear bulkead, is about 2 inches x 4 inches with large block numbers, was partially under one of the horsehair strips and has pretty much disintegrated.

pmansson

Reaction score

I just pulled out the rear right seat of my Golf CSL and found the pale orange piece of paper with the black numbers 3451 on it. It was glued partially under a small piece of sand coloured felt (about the size of 2 packs of cigarrettes).
I know that I have seen these papers on some, but not all, of my coupés. It would be fun if we could establish what the figures mean.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys,

Send an eMail to Andreas; he may be able to provide info based on the series of 4 digits found on the strips of paper in your respective cars.

CookeD

Reaction score
I posted this last year:

bc21a0f46d45fe66698bfe559f34934f.jpg

No other paper is in the car, but I've not had the front seats or carpet out...

Also, the hand-writing appears to correspond to the paint code... There's nothing else on the paper, so it appears to possibly be an order number, maybe corresponding to what interior to install, as the rear armrests are screwed in over the tape holding the paper, and the sound-deadening was glued on top...?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sheet

I sent an e-mail to Andreas and received this reply:

"Thank you for your new email.

But I've never seen a number like this, it's probably for internal use. I don't know what it means. Are there any other numbers on this sheet? Maybe you could send me a picture."

And my reply:

Dear Andreas,

No, there are no other numbers or information on this 2 inch by 4 inch piece of paper with large block style numbers. Other members of our group at www.e9coupe.com have also found this paper. I do not have a picture but they were glued to the bulkhead behind the right rear seat under a piece of horsehair padding. Thank you very much for your quick reply, it is much appreciated. It is too bad that the Archive only has the importer, Hoffman, and not the dealer that our cars were delivered to. I know my car has always been in California but I would like to know which dealer and city it was sent to. Thanks again.

What great customer service they provide.

pmansson

Reaction score
I agree that it would be even more rewarding to know what dealer eventually delivered the cars to the first customers, rather than just the official BMW importer like Hoffman Motors in the US. On 2 of my Italian cars, I have the original name and location of the BMW dealer on a sticker in the rear window. This was customary in some European countries in the 60-70s.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paper Behind Rear Seat

We have an answer to the paper with four numbers behind the rear seat. I sent a copy of NumberJ's photo to Andreas, here is his response:

"Yes, I can explain this now.

These are the BMW internal type codes for the series. 3435 stands for the BMW 3.0 CS Us model wit manual transmission and 3436 for the BMW 3.0 CS Us model wit automatic transmission. I found the numbers in an older internal document."