Paint code for Colordo orange

aball

Reaction score
I'm going to get my '72 Bavaria repainted from Sahara to Colorado, like the attached pic. After 20 years of of the original Sahara color, I have to say I'm tired of beige...! I want to go full tilt, and go with one of my favorite colors this time.

My body man is having trouble getting the paint code for this color. Anyone know where I can find it? I've poked around online but no luck yet. Thanks

Attachments

• CSL02.jpg
    CSL02.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,085

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My local paint store had this chart. Hope this helps.

AG

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 521

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That came up more blurry than it is on my phone. The orange color is "Colorado Yellow" and has the numbers 002 and 8842.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the result of this color change, which IMHO should be quite an improvement on the Sahara.
My only reservation would be that the orange is a pretty bold color for a big car like the E3 - even more so than yellow - and although it seems to suit the E9 very well, for whatever reason you don't see many E3's in that hue.
I hope my reservation is proven to be unfounded in this case.
All the best for the restoration.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The reason you don't see any e3's in Colorado is because they never were available from the factory in that color. I could be wrong on this, but I have never heard of one or seen one. They supposedly came in Inka and I have seen two painted Inka in pictures, never in person but neither were factory Inka e3's. They were both painted Inka over another factory color, can't remember what they started out as. Maybe someone can post some pictures of a factory Inka e3 or factory Colorado e3 if there are any out there. I love Colorado myself and think it would look great, can't wait to see it.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Maybe someone can post some pictures of a factory Inka e3 or factory Colorado e3 if there are any out there. I love Colorado myself and think it would look great, can't wait to see it.
Possibly not factory, but here are a few orange E3's.
I do like the golden metallic-looking orange color of the 2500 in the third pic.

Attachments

• 1973 BMW Bavaria Sedan. - 1.jpg
    1973 BMW Bavaria Sedan. - 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 911
  • Orange Bavaria.jpg
    Orange Bavaria.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 591
  • Metallic orange BMW 2500.jpg
    Metallic orange BMW 2500.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 519

aball

Reaction score
That first pic is an Inka orange one.

I have read that Inka was only officially offered on the 2002, and that Colorado was offered on both. But I can't find where I read that! It has been a few years - I've been searching the internet today to no avail.

I was pretty much settled on Colorado as soon as I found out about it. The car is a fun toy, so I figure why not? Besides it's not like the Bavaria will ever be a highly collectible car that requires originality. I think it will look good on my brown interior with Alpina rims. I will post pictures when I get it back later this Spring.

Doug Dolan

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Color and Upholstery chart that shows Inka (022) and Colorado (002) available for E3 (2500/2800/3.0S/3.0Si) and E9 (3.0 CS/ 3.0 CSi) as well as 1602/1802/2002/2002 tii + touring. In the chart I have, the only color available only on the E9 was Nachtblau (040).

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Possibly not factory, but here are a few orange E3's.
I do like the golden metallic-looking orange color of the 2500 in the third pic.

So those are the exact (2) cars that I have seen painted Inka, the first two. The slammed one is well known (Not factory paint) and the Oregon plate car is the only one that I think may be factory, but don't know for sure. I have never seen that Metallic Orange, it is really hard to tell what that color really is from the picture. The paint charts that Doug are referring to may show that Colorado and Inka were available, but like I said, I have yet to see a Colorado e3 in pictures and taking that one step further, if there is one, if it is a factory Colorado would be nice to know. I think Colorado would look cool with the tan interior, can't wait to see it. Either way it will definitely turn some heads.