paint colors

psychrunner

Reaction score
Thought I would throw this out for discussion/opinions. My e9 is finaly at the point of paint in about two weeks. Original is Polaris (060 code). Any thoughts of favorite colors for coupes, and whether it is best (from a collector/nostalgic perspective) to stay with original, which I am strongly inclined to do. Also, did the doors have VIN plates on them originally? Don't think mine does which may suggest new doors somewhere along the way. Is there a way to have new VIN plates stamped with original VIN number?
Thanks for any opinion/info.
Randy

colors, VINs

I love that silver/polaris, and would keep it if I were you. Let me buttress the case: properly repainting all the nooks and crannies in any other color will be a big job for the painter. Easier to keep it the way it was made.

That said, of the coupes I've seen, a freshly painted and clear coated fjord blue, it lovely too. It had just a hint of lavender in it, and needs the right light to bring it out. A deep clear helps it too.

From a post a few down, see http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Coupe_Information/e9paint.html
for coupe colors.

agree!
stay with the original color-not to mention the benefit from a collector`s point of view .

mine is also a polaris/red - I think one of the most beautiful color E9 can have.

I had mine re-painted in Polaris without removing the engine. Everything else was removed included the headliner. The result was very good. I agree with the rest of you - I felt that the car had to be re-painted in the same colour as it was delivered. Regards, Per

There are no VINs on the doors. That practice didn't start until sometime in the 80s? The only E9 body panel with a VIN stamp is the cowl, near the distributor.

I am inclined to agree with the others that the original color is best. However, my coupe was Fjord, and then painted over black.. So, I am going to strip it completely, and repaint the entire thing. I may even look into having the car dipped for rust proofing.

And then I'll repaint it Baikal Blau, which , I think, is a beautiful color on the coupe. not as light as Fjord, and not as dark as Nachtblau...the other color that is breathtaking is Verona.. just see Arde's car and you will know what I am talking about..

Thanks for your opinions and feedback. What is the best way to match the Polaris original? Do paint manufactures (e.g., Dupont) have exact matches from this era? Interesting Bill re: no plates on doors. My car is at a resto shop 300 miles away so I don't see it much. I was ready to accuse the shop of removing them (and losing them) for painting. Bela, is your interior red? I am planning to have the velour like material replaced with leather or vinyl (already spending way too much for exterior stuff - may need to go with the vinyl) but not sure what color. Thought I would go with close to original so as not to have to change out the door panels which look good (dark blue), but red sounds interesting. Food for thought.
Any thoughts on wheels from anyone? Has the original 5 - spoke like wheels now.

Thanks

paint colours

We too are almost ready to paint our newly restored e9. (Ceylon). Does anybody know how the undercarriage and interiors were originally painted? Was it in primer? There is a lot of evidence of a tan primer underneath the car. Any info is greatly appreciated

Re: paint colours

We too are almost ready to paint our newly restored e9. (Ceylon). Does anybody know how the undercarriage and interiors were originally painted? Was it in primer? There is a lot of evidence of a tan primer underneath the car. Any info is greatly appreciated

As far as I can workout the underside was sprayed with a medium grey PVC based sealant that was supposed to stop the rot!
Items such as the rear axle, swinging arms, front subframe and suspension components, steering arms etc were black. THe interior of the shell is usually in the original outer body colour but some areas only have primer, which in my case is grey

In regard to the final colour, raised in other posts, if the car is completely stripped then it is relatively easy to paint it in whatever colour you want. However if your interested in originality then respray in the original colour, be warned! You will need a complete job as matching colours, especially metallic paints is notorously difficult.

Me, well... I'll paint the bucket in whatever colour Mrs Malc decides :wink: currently Atlantikblue :roll:
Malc

Back