paint matching

cookbw

Reaction score
I've been looking at lots of examples of "original" color repaints on cars these days as I'm having my coupe repainted. The only consistent result from my search is that the so-called original colors look different on every car. For example, look at how much difference there is in all the nachtblau cars and the atlantic blue cars...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ben.cook/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCLCOpJiesd_scA#

So which one is the REAL Atlantikblau? I realize lighting and cameras can make a big difference, but there's no way those 3 Atlantik cars are the same color.

How does one go about finding a good match? What's a good source for paint formulas and paint chips for original vintage colors? There are many sources for this online and this website will actually give you a matching formula to produce the original color...

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

but I have no way of knowing what kind of result I'd get if I used their formula for a given color. They're probably just matching to a scanned image or who knows what. If anyone knows a good source for getting the right color reliably, please fill me in.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Blue

If you like a creamy dark navy blue then go with Atlantik, the 2002 and e9 in your link look dead on on my computer. The Nachtblau is a brighter but slightly lighter color. TCPGlobal can mix a pint and send it to you, that is who Carl Nelson uses, they have everything you need.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Atlantik Blau

FYI--number 18 on the E-9 in your drop down array of pictures is the BLUMAX who has been with me for over 37 years and 441,000 miles. It was re-painted 18 years ago in original 041 Atlantik Blau sourced from and formulated by Senik Paint in Costa Mesa, CA--a supplier to fine paint and body shops in OC for over 50 years--it's the same source used on two occasions for BLUMAX. The original formulation for single stage paint matching factory original was used--no clear coat--was still available then, but no more.

I had inquired on 2 or 3 of our contacts as to where you are located--you never responded and you have continued to struggle and fret over color matches after several responses I had sent to you.

Sometimes we can be of help to an owner--one who is actually asking for same.

Good luck!

cookbw

Reaction score
Update: So I ordered several color samples from TCP global sprayed onto 4x6 cards. They were $30 per color. I decided to go with Atlantik Blau after all. I'll probably use DuPont ChromaBond for the paint. Can't wait to see the results!