Paint Regulations.

Malc

Reaction score
For those of you in the UK and the EEC there are new "rules" coming out about solvent based paints, namely Cellulose, some acrylics, and some single and two pack paint systems.
Basically they will be banned from 1 January 2007. All paint systems will have to be waterbased, which will involve very expensive drying systems etc etc.
In the UK the Classic car clubs have banded together to get exemptions for older / classic vehicles, DEFRA (UK goverment department) in principal has said yes to exemption, but has yet to agreed what an older / classic vehicle is or what the cut off date will be. (I suspect 1 January 1973)

The regulations will also apply to primers and undercoats, and underseals so there will be little bodywork preparation we can do.

Me I am going to buy the solvent based primers and finish materials I need now as the shelf life is long enough, and I do have the gear to paint safely

What I see is that to get a car painted is going to end up being even more expensive thus more cars worthy of restoration will go to the scrappers.

Malc

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Waterbased Paints

As I understand from 2 of the Paint boffins I've asked is that the WB Paints will be easier to use,less toxic and more Home sprayer friendly.
I gather that the time limitation inherent in two pack systems will fall away and that theW/B paints will dry in a slightly heated garage.
The Existing requirement for Air extraction/scrubbing will be easier tho I doubt that will bring the price down at my local spray-shop.
Had a look at the commercial drying unit for WB Paints, and figure it wont be long before somebody steals every hairdryer in the house, and mounts them through a board in groups of 3x3
Regards
Dax

Malc

Reaction score
Dax,
Hope your paint boffins are right!
BTW does your mate still need pictures of front ends etc? I need to unwrap the parts car to get some bits!

Oh and is the blast in August still on? (Need to book time off)

Cheers
Malc

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Paint

Yes please ,Malc, he wont be doing much for a while as the new baby is creating a sleepless in Ireland bit at the mo,but his wife is'nt happy about the baby in the Garage!Pity, I mean if you're awake and the baby is awake?Waste of some quality Coupe time.
Yep, Dates are the weekend of August 19th,place is Connemara, will e-mail a link to the accomodation shortly!Trying to find out if the traffic Police will be having their annual ball that night and be too hungover on the Sunday to care about policing

Quendil

Reaction score
Paint

This is definately going to be a problem as from experience cellulose is still the best paint for the home sprayer. From experience I have found that two pack really need a low bake oven to set properly (No matter what the paint salesmen tell you) and I have been informed that water based paints really do need a low bake oven. One thing about cellulose is it does have a long shelf life but how long I am not sure, anyone know? I have already brought the cellulose paint and primer for the E3 I will be painting but I think I will have to get in some more stock.

Cheers
Dave

Malc

Reaction score
Dave,
I took the lid off the tin of Chariot Red I have for my MGA, which I know is at least 8 years old.
It was still "runny" However this had never had any thinners added at any time.

Malc

Quendil

Reaction score
Paint

Hi Malc,

Sounds good and I'm fairly sure it can last longer than that if kept right.

Cheers
Dave