Paint type recommendation

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I've got my '71 3.0CS in the shop to have the little dings and a few rust bubbles repaired and then a new coat of paint applied. It's getting the full treatment with new glass, gaskets, and many new trim items. I trust my body shop owner to do a good job; he is using this project as background filler work so he will take his time to get everyting right. The guy actually assigned the job owned an E9 many years ago and he is enthusiastic. Unless I instruct the shop otherwise I'm sure they'll simply use "standard" paint to match the original BMW color.

My question to the board: should I ask for any particular type or brand of paint and are there significant differences? While I am a fearless wrench turner, I am lower than a rank amateur when it comes to things "paint and body." :p

There are two schools of thought here, I suppose. One says, "let your painter use the system (i.e., brand) with which he has experience, and you'll get the best results."

The other school is the "you gotta use Sikkens/Glasurit/PPG/etc. to get the best results."

Which is right? Tough call. I would lean towards the former, with the caveat to look for a shop that uses one of the quality systems before you drop off the car. Kinda covers all the bases... :p

At the end of the day, the best way to pick a painter is to see his work and be sure it is quality and his customers are happy. My first question is "Would you take your next paint job to this shop?"

Thanks for the advice. I am comfortable with the shop; I don't know what "system" he uses but I will go and ask. I assume I'll get some type of acrylic urenthane finish.

In the past I've had work done on my 540i by the "dealer" shop and I was less than pleased. The shop I have my E9 at is completely independant and they do good work. My wife usually manages a fender bender every year or so and this guy has been working on her cars with excellent results. I decided to go with him when he told me that I should plan on leaving the E9 with him for a while because he wanted to make sure he found and repaired all the little trouble spots - basically there are little dings, rust bubbles, and poorly done bondo spots all around the car. The frame and strut towers are fine (CA car) :D but I have some early signs of floor pan and spare tire well rust-through. :(

Since the front and rear wondows are coming out I decided to have the headliner replaced. The guy doing it claims to know the E9 very well and he is generally consider the "best" in the area. Any sage advice on headliner work would also be welcome.

Back