Part or Project

What should I do

• Total voters

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recently purchased the CSI that was for sale locally to me in Charleston, SC. I spoke a number of times with the seller who insisted it was a parts car only and although I paid above his asking price it still felt like a decent opportunity to pick up some parts I might need while putting my coupe back together as well as a euro engine.

The car is now parked in my shop and I promise to get a vacuum to it and take better pictures in the next few days. After seeing what hides underneath the paint on these cars I know how much it costs to cut out rust and buy panels. The frame rails look pretty good but the left front fender and tower are completely shot.

I would appreciate the feedback and wisdom of the group by completing the survey question.

Here's a link to the dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cxt6ljtllk0l0ki/AADtXUCOEhdsNrxntERstd27a?dl=0

Thank you

After looking at the pictures I think there may be a car worth saving in there somewhere. In the interest of not wasting too much time it might be a good idea to remove all the parts from the car until it is a bare shell then have it blasted. You will already have a huge stock of parts then that you can use or sell. When the car comes back from the blasters you will know the extent of the damage and if it's too far gone you will have a shell that you can part out to members here who need that odd part from the shell.

Just an idea :)

I am in the "save it" camp. Sure there are some scary areas, but also some encouraging photos. Too easy to discard, I like Peter's idea. Strip it, take it down to bare, you will still be able to re-Coup...if it looks too daunting when fully cleaned. Good luck, we are all so very interested! Mike

I say fix it. The front fenders are scary and with a sunroof, the rockers are also probably bad, but I'd fix it if it were mine.
The custom added AC evaporator is quite interesting. Clearly they couldn't find a grill for the dash and make a solid panel for the switches.

Mine was a little better than yours, but not by much. All of the sheet metal parts to repair it are available. If you have some skill with sheet metal and MIG welding you can fit it yourself.

Look under the glove box. How bad is the firewall?

I say, blast it and see what you have left of it per Peter's recommendation.

I think the car should be saved. The real question is whether you think you are the savior. It's definitely worth keeping IMO, but do the math if you intend to have the work done.

I'm also curious about the firewall, fender boxes, and the rockers. Also pull the rear seat and have a look. Snap more pics now that you are ramped up on hosting pics.

Back