Parts cars

FlyWulf

Reaction score
Hello all,

My local scrapper has aquired a 1981 528i, I was wondering what parts are compatible with my 72 CS? I nabbed the five speed right away to upgrade the four speed I have currently. What about the third member or the rear axles with cv joints. Or maybe the front suspension?Thanks in advance for your replies, I love this site.

Eddie E.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
You can use the diff, it is 3.45 ratio, possibility a limited slip. I doubt the half shafts will work and the front suspension parts are mostly different. Some people have been able to use the front swaybar, others said it did not fit.

gazzol

Reaction score
Re: gearbox

jonathan49bat said:
Is it true that to fit the five speed box one has to weld in a new mounting further back?
It depends which mounting your talking about.
If you mean the gearbox one the answer (as already stated) is no. However if you wish to use the 528 propshaft you need to move the centre proshaft bearing mount further back which invovles cutting and welding etc. If you don't want to go to all that trouble then you will have to have your four speed propshaft shortened. The reason you need to do this is that the front half of the two shafts are the same length so on the 528 the rear section of the prop is shorter by the same ammount that the 5 speed is longer that the 4 speed.

The E12 had a wider rear track so the whole subframe unit is wider it may be possible to fit the whole unit but I don't know anyone who has done this. The rear damper units are useable if you drill out the pilot markings in the damper towers this will convert your car to coil overs (I have this planned for my car) but I'm unsure about the spring lenght/poundage. At the front end it may be possible to use the front Mcpherson strut units BUT you would have to change the lower arm aswell or you will end up with positive camber on the front wheels. If you use the bottom arms you will widen the front track and that could cause tyre rubbing issues.
It's not really worth it. motor tranny, diff, front + rear sway bars and thats about it really unless you enjoy doing stuff for the sake of it.