passing CA smog 76 3.0si

rubing

Reaction score
After countless attempts and failure to pass CA smog emissions testing, I finally got my car to pass. I'll throw this out there for anybody who also has smog issues. The thing that really made a difference in getting the car to pass was the installation of a crane hi-6 msd unit, also but less so installing a crane 700 breakerless optical ignition.

The hi-6 unit is huge so required moving the battery to the rear by way of top-end performance's e3 rear battery kit. My primary challenge was to reduce CO. Before crane unit installation my CO measured about 1.6% afterwards was down to 0.5% which got it to pass by a WIDE margin. All of my other numbers were way below limit.

In retrospect, I may have been able to find a smog mechanic to tweak my existing setup into passing, but for not much more money now feel very confident going forward with future tests as well as having a more modern ignition.

lloyd

Reaction score
After countless attempts and failure to pass CA smog emissions testing, I finally got my car to pass. I'll throw this out there for anybody who also has smog issues. The thing that really made a difference in getting the car to pass was the installation of a crane hi-6 msd unit, also but less so installing a crane 700 breakerless optical ignition.

The hi-6 unit is huge so required moving the battery to the rear by way of top-end performance's e3 rear battery kit. My primary challenge was to reduce CO. Before crane unit installation my CO measured about 1.6% afterwards was down to 0.5% which got it to pass by a WIDE margin. All of my other numbers were way below limit.

In retrospect, I may have been able to find a smog mechanic to tweak my existing setup into passing, but for not much more money now feel very confident going forward with future tests as well as having a more modern ignition.

Congratulations.

Interesting observations that beg a few questions. Perhaps you can supply some additional information regarding your installation. For example, did you change plugs and plug wires? Plug gaps? Any ignition timing changes or special fuel? Fuel injection changes, e.g., fuel pressure or injectors?

Thanks.http://e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10375

gwittman

Reaction score
I never had a problem passing emissions in CA with my 70 2800 CS. It had stock ignition and Weber carburetors. The carburetors were the JAM Engineering setup so they looked stock.

I always leaned the carbs out to a light stumble in the idle before taking it in for inspection. That got the CO down to passing but did not raise the other parameters.

The last time I had to have it checked (many years ago) the technician wanted to fail me because it did not have a charcoal canister as was indicated in his books. I argued that it never had one as it came from the factory. He insisted it did so I asked him to show me where it was mounted. He finally gave in and gave me a pass.

I just recently took my 2002 Ford Ranger in for smog test and they didn't even put a sniffer in the exhaust. It was all visual inspection and connecting to the OBD II port. I inquired about it because I got a complete exhaust readout the last time I had it in for smog test. I was told they don't have to do the exhaust test anymore on the newer vehicles other than revving the engine a few times to check for smoke.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OBD I cars like my 90 e30 still get the sniffer and rolling road tests at 1500 and 2500 RPM. OBD II is now a snap. Last time our coupes were tested in CA was 1996 just before 1975 was set as the cutoff for testing. Too bad 76 and up still get tested.

rubing

Reaction score
Congratulations.

Interesting observations that beg a few questions. Perhaps you can supply some additional information regarding your installation. For example, did you change plugs and plug wires? Plug gaps? Any ignition timing changes or special fuel? Fuel injection changes, e.g., fuel pressure or injectors?

Thanks.

Plugs were changed and I regapped the spark plugs...that's all.