Passing of Dr.Fred Simeone

boonies

Aka Lance
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sad news from the Philadelphia area, where Dr. Fred Simeone, the founder of the Simeone Foundation where his legendary car collection resides, passed away this weekend.

Hopefully the foundation and the collection will persist. For those that have not had an opportunity to visit the collection (near the Philadelphia airport), you should add it as a stop on your next visit to the area.

Last edited:
We had a personally guided tour of the Simeone Foundation in 2017 by Dr. Fred Simeone. We had the place all to ourselves. He knew the history & significance of everything on display. When we were in the hall with the Kissel 6-45 Speedster, I mentioned My 1914 KisselKar 4-40 Touring. He said, "Yes, Andrew I am familiar with your car."

I visited the previous location twice: a two story ware house off of South Street. Two floors of informally arranged cars. The entire collection. Walk right up to them. Sit in a few. The "shop/office" was in the middle of the second floor. Parts on shelves, a very early XKE shell hanging from the ceiling. His mechanic/docent told us he did not give her the keys until she had worked for him for six years. Ralph Lauren would stop by periodically and offer huge sums for a #1 Jaguar. She told him, "Ralph, we don't want to own your company." She supposedly married a European Race car driver.

I know the track out back of the new locale is a nice feature, but the first iteration was so special. More in the Peter Gleeson style compared to the new "museum" which is more in the Peterson style. Too fussy, too staged for me.

But a visionary has left the track. Sad, sad.

Been to the 'new' museum several times. Whenever out of state gearheads visit, we go to see the exhibits. Been to a few of the Saturday 'car exercise days'. A very intersting place to visit. I encourage any and all who have interest in racing cars to visit if you are in the area. He had been head of brain surgery at U. of Penn hospital for may years, and loved to use his 'down time' to read automotive publications.

Gary.

Back