Pebble Beach concours 2024

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is a great video on today’s concours, the culmination of the Monterey car week 2024.

It was broadcast live during the day and includes many guests and interesting video segments, including one on the insane Lancia HF zero from the late Marcelo Gandini

I watched the YouTube stream of the awards live yesterday and was a bit disappointed with the end. Can somebody explain how the car they chose as Best in Show exemplified the quality of "elegance" as the show's name notes that the Best winner will demonstrate? As it won its class, the commentary spoke about how it had been revised over its early life, having bits taken away and body modifications. As a result, to my eye, it lacked elegance due to missing bits or awkward-looking modifications. The condition, by the way, is not the issue in my eye, so never mind questioning the preservation class status of the car as that has nothig to do with how inelegant I think the car looks.

king leopold, wow!

pebble beach concours 2024

Interesting write-up in Autoweek, but it doesn't answer the question. This is the Councours d'Elegance, not the Concours d'Provenance. The car is great, it's just not elegant.

I watched the YouTube stream of the awards live yesterday and was a bit disappointed with the end. Can somebody explain how the car they chose as Best in Show exemplified the quality of "elegance" as the show's name notes that the Best winner will demonstrate? As it won its class, the commentary spoke about how it had been revised over its early life, having bits taken away and body modifications. As a result, to my eye, it lacked elegance due to missing bits or awkward-looking modifications. The condition, by the way, is not the issue in my eye, so never mind questioning the preservation class status of the car as that has nothig to do with how inelegant I think the car looks.

I saw the car in person, and it is incredible. The proportions are perfect. The color changes were done when the car was just a few years old. They made 4 of them I think. The fastest Bugatti ever built. The wire wheels, when you see them, are mazing works of art. Totally unique. Under the hood is also a work of art, as it is with all Bugattis.

It's rare for a Bugatti of this era to survive untouched for 80 plus years, especially a race car. They have all been wrecked and rebuilt 5 times or whatever.

Lastly, best in show is highly political. The same class of people always win. The owner bought the car from David Gooding, who is on the selection committee, for about $12M dollars.

And unrestored survivors are in vogue.

best in show is highly political. The same class of people always win. The owner bought the car from David Gooding, who is on the selection committee, for about $12M dollars.
Really? I'm shocked, shocked!

craterface said:
The wire wheels, when you see them, are amazing works of art.

Yes, I saw the car on Thursday morning at the start of the tour, and was struck (not literally) by the wheels. Basically disk wheels, reinforced at the outside by many, thin, wire spokes.

Back