people will throw away anything

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was at the gas station last night. Off in the distance I noticed something sticking out of the garbage receptacle that looked... out of place. Upon closer inspection, it revealed a dip stick?!?
20220118_183526.jpg
20220118_183534.jpg

It is quite frequent people are leaving gas or cooling fluid cap on the roof or next onto distributor.

As we are living in a crazy times...
... might be it was someone who tank the gas into it.

I spent some time in college working at filling stations part time. Policy at 3 different ones for EVERY customer was: Insert the gasoline spigot and install requested amount of fuel. Ask driver to release the hood latch and check the oil (and water level if engine not real hot), inform driver of oil level, check tire pressure (add air if necessary) in all four tires, clean windshield at minimum, attempt to do all windows. Obtain payment for the gasoline purchased (sometimes it was only $1.00 - which bought ~3 gallons), and wish the driver safe travels.

I suspect it was the driver who stuck the dipstick there, left to put the fuel spigot in the tank, then forgot about it. Thankfully, since leaving those service station jobs nearly 60 years ago, I've never forgotten to reinstall the dipstick!!

Gary

I spent some time in college working at filling stations part time. Policy at 3 different ones for EVERY customer was: Insert the gasoline spigot and install requested amount of fuel. Ask driver to release the hood latch and check the oil (and water level if engine not real hot), inform driver of oil level, check tire pressure (add air if necessary) in all four tires, clean windshield at minimum, attempt to do all windows. Obtain payment for the gasoline purchased (sometimes it was only $1.00 - which bought ~3 gallons), and wish the driver safe travels.

I suspect it was the driver who stuck the dipstick there, left to put the fuel spigot in the tank, then forgot about it. Thankfully, since leaving those service station jobs nearly 60 years ago, I've never forgotten to reinstall the dipstick!!

Gary
What about the time while you were working at the service station?

Gary, worked in gas stations around the same time as you. And followed the same procedures. The one that made us all laugh was the customer who demanded we wash the windshield. It was raining! In the early 50's it was still common to tip the attendant. My grandfather did.

Gary
Those were the good ol days for sure

Back