Performance options for 3.0

razi

Reaction score
Ok,

I hope this isn't heresy, but I was underwhelmed by the performance of the 3 or 4 CSL/CSi's I have driven so far. What option are available to upgrade the performance while keeping the car more or less 'stock' i.e. no engine swaps :) Nothing spectacular needed, just something to bring it line with say a 911 SC which, on paper, has a similar weight to power ratio but feels quite a bit quicker.

Also, I would like to lower the car slightly (again, apologies if this offends anyone...). the rear looks almost right to my tastes, while the front could do with some lowering. perhaps 1" or slightly more. Any ideas?

tia,
razi

Carl Nelson's springs lower the car, if I recall right.

A lot of members upgrade the carbs of the CS, up to triple 40s or 38/38s. You could do the normal stuff, like headers, intake, custom exhaust, the same things that work on any engine.

As far as tuning the old injection system, I am sure someone else will know.

If you want to performance-tune/hop-up a coupe, start with a garden-variety 2800. They're almost as light as a CSL, (actually lighter than ones with regular glass and steel doors 'n lids) and much less expensive. You can go abso-friggin-lutely nuts with the extra coin in building a monster coupe.

Hint: "Back in the day", 99% of privateer racing "CSL's" started as 2800's, even then they were far less expensive than a light-bodied chassis from the factory, name tuners also preferred 2800's unless they were getting the light bodies heavily underwritten by the fledgling BMW Motorsports efforts.

Hello Razi,
Basically what ever you what to do is fine by me :D

Your options are basically (IMHO)
bigger engine
Turbo or compressor charging
Engine out of a later BMW

The problem with "stuffing" say +500BHP in a E9 shell is that it will fall apart unless you can seam weld / put a weld in cage / upgrade the suspension and brakes etc etc etc. So you have to decide what you want the car for before going down the modification road

I will say is that RHD cars are harder to modify than LHD cars..... Obviously depends on where in the world you are!

If I had shed loads of money then a 24v engine out of a M5, plus gearbox plus LSD would be the way to go....
Malc

I'm thinking I'll do this slowly...

First step is to get it running as well as it can while it stays mostly stock. I think the clutch needs to be replaced --- any ideas on a replacement that leaves me prepared for more HP and a 5 speed down the road?

I'm also considering a motronic conversion from the stock injection. Any thoughts on this? improvements in driveability and/or fuel mileage?

Thanks

re: 2800 vs csl weight

with regards to the suggestion above that a garden variety 2800 cs is close to as light as a csl or lighter than a city package car; really? Never heard that.

what is the difference weight-wise between simalarly optioned 2.8 and 3.0 standard coupes? and csl coupes?

are we talking body weight or just extra mechanical and trim, etc?

Actual weight of an early 2800 CS

BLUMAX #16--has been weighed several times in years past--on same national moving Company scales--this before modification--with 2/3 tank of fuel on board--no driver--all tools but no junk residing within--was 3120#--hardly a lightweight!

now with vented discs all round, 16" staggered Alpinas, 3.5L, 5 speed and other miscellaneous items--but now fitted with special cam and Weber 38/38's is very eager and very quick down the road--time to weigh-in again--also with recently installed custom heavy duty cocomats from Cocomats.com--maybe another 20# added--whatever that may mean--mats are period correct and look really good--very durable with heavy rubber backing to prevent dirt filtering through and many nubs to secure them in place

Have errands to run and several miles to cover--BLUMAX needs exercize--beautiful day so my choice of steeds--may have time to run over scales--will report results later!

Re: Actual weight of an early 2800 CS

i'm going to do carb conversion for tripple webers. Could you tell me after fitting 40DCOE how much more BHP i should expect? I know this task is not so easy. I will need special cam fitted as well, but what angle?

ps great forum, visiting for 2yrs and 1st post :shock: :lol:

weight 2800 vs. 3.0cs vs. CSL

Interesting Question - According to the Guiness World Car Record

2800CS Kerb Weight 1357.5.6kg 2990.0 lbs.

3.0CS Kerb Weight 1441.4kg 3175.0 lbs.

3.0CSL Kerb Weight 1310.7kg 2887.0 lbs.

I like the way they spell "Kerb"

-MF

Back