Period Aftermarket Audio Systems

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've long been curious about the hifi systems installed in cars from the 80s and before. I know nice systems in 60s/70s cars are pretty rarefied, though, and I wanted to start this thread to share photos or cars with aftermarket audio systems from their respective period. For instance, attached is two promotional photos of a Schaub-Lorenz transistor radio in both a 230SL and Ford Taunus. Such a radio doesn't really qualify as hifi, but it is an interesting non-Becker or Blaupunkt system from the period.

One of the earlier very nice systems I can think of is this 1982 528e that sold on BaT last August for a bargain 10k: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-bmw-528e-6/ Though its system is a late-80s creation (the brochures and very period haircuts are fun to look at). Anyway, if anyone knows of some fancy systems from the 60s/70s, I'm all ears!

Attachments

• 1674230581788.png
    1674230581788.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 523
  • 1674230967609.png
    1674230967609.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
When my dad passed away, many years ago now, I cleaned out the garage and one of the things that I found was a Highway HiFi unit. I eventually sold it on eBay as I was never going to have the llate 50's or early 60's vintage Chrysler product that it would fit in.

Screenshot_20230120_114529.png

I remember installing Pioneer AM/FM cassette systems in my cars back in the 70's. That was a dramatic upgrade from stock back in the day.

I found a new in the box, Nakamichi CD player for $200 Should fit in nicely. Also has the ability to switch from white, green or to orange lettering. Perfectly matches the lighting on my 635. Oh, put a wtb on CL and someone called me with it

I found a new in the box, Nakamichi CD player for $200 Should fit in nicely. Also has the ability to switch from white, green or to orange lettering. Perfectly matches the lighting on my 635. Oh, put a wtb on CL and someone called me with it
Got any photos of that Nakamichi? The ones I see on eBay sure are $$$! The orange lettering in your 635 should look incredible. The glow of the old electronics has such soul.

Found this fun site with old stereo ads. The graphic equalizer is rad.

Back