Period Factory Accessories : Alloy Wheels

E3_UK

Reaction score
My car (UK 1973) was supplied new with steel wheels however the original owner fitted period alloys at some point. I have been pondering whether or not to change back to steel wheels, however if these alloys would have been available to be fitted as extras by the dealership when the car was new I would probably just keep them. So can anyone confirm if these were available to E3 owners officially from BMW ?.

20170508_193758 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

20181107_225103 (1) by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

20181107_225116 (1) by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

20181107_225050 (1) by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

20181107_225055 (1) by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, they were, and yours are in lovely condition. I'd agree with you, "just keep them."

E3_UK

Reaction score
Yes, they were, and yours are in lovely condition. I'd agree with you, "just keep them."
Thanks. I have to admit I prefer the alloys however the purists would probably disagree.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And purists also love them as they were made by FPS for BMW on both the e9 and e3 and many cars were fitted with them from the factory.

johnl

Reaction score
My 1972 Bavaria arrived to the states with steel wheels which I still have. When I purchased the car the factory period alloys like yours were already on so I kept them. Shortly thereafter I found another set with caps for backups. Personally I like these for this period sedan over larger wheels and lower profile tires that many choose. Just a personal preference.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 1972 Bavaria arrived to the states with steel wheels which I still have. When I purchased the car the factory period alloys like yours were already on so I kept them. Shortly thereafter I found another set with caps for backups. Personally I like these for this period sedan over larger wheels and lower profile tires that many choose. Just a personal preference.
I run these lovelies on my 74 euro e9. 74s originally came with turbines. I prefer these so I run these. A buddy with a 73 coupe should be running these but prefers turbines. So he runs turbines. Run what you love!