Pertronix Question

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Please take a look at the photos. There are two adaptor plates shown in the installation diagram, but the kit only came with one.

?

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 146
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 146

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As long as the module and the magnet line up at the bottom per the instructions you shouldn't need 2 adapter plates, see if it lines up and if you even need one plate. I don't rememer having 2 plates - those instructions may be generic.

61porsche

Reaction score
It's only needed as a spacer if things don't line up. Make sure the reluctor wheel, the part on the dizzy shaft, is all the way down.

p.s. - What Steve said.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought it might be generic; thanks.

Instructions also indicate that the timing has to be reset?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, set it to spec and see how it runs. Others reccomend setting it more advanced of spec until it doesn't like it (backfire, overheating etc.) then back a little. Mine is set just a little bit advanced and I did so a year ago and haven't touched it since. Bottom line - set it to spec then fiddle with it to see if it runs better with some small adjustments - these cars are so old now that each will probably respond differently. Once it's running well you're good to go.

61porsche

Reaction score
Yes, timing should be restablished. The new Pertronix placement can be off, but once it's done; it's done.

jmackro

Reaction score
My Pertronix came with only one bracket, like your photo on the left. I can't explain the diagram on the right, showing two brackets.

An additional bracket would position the sensor higher, which might cause it to interfere with something. I doubt it is needed for e9 applications.

Yes, you should re-time after installing the Pertronix. I found that my carbureted 2800 started and performed better with a bit more advance, after installing the Pertronix.