Petri Wheel Recovered

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've just had a Petri wheel recovered by Chris Scow in TX and wanted to post a couple of pictures of his work, in case anyones looking for this type of service. I think he does really great work, and he's a pleasure to deal with,

This is the second wheel he's done for me, he offers lots of options, is reasonable and turned this around in less than a week.

If you're looking to have a wheel recovered he'd be my first stop.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 243
Very pretty.

My experience with similar Petri wheels has been with the center hub attached. I had forgotten or never noticed the spokes being unconnected or separated toward the center. How common are the separated spokes, and does the separation at the hub serve any particular purpose? I can guess, but it strikes me as different than the other after-market steering wheels we often see, e.g., Nardi and Momo.

attachment.php

DQ Wheel
vloatasio.jpg~original

And with the approach of Autumn, it seems like a good time to repost this image for all seasons. WOW.

fallfoliage.JPG

I'm by no means an expert on this and I'm sure others might have better knowledge but from the few I've seen this seems to be pretty consistent for these wheels.

I believe the separated spokes is the norm, I have seen one welded to a disk but it looked non original. Possibly they separated the spokes so in the event of a crash to allow it to collapse?

That is a beautiful recover job. For future reference, the original stiching was interlocking style vs. the baseball style:

IMG_0886.JPG

I'm by no means an expert on this and I'm sure others might have better knowledge but from the few I've seen this seems to be pretty consistent for these wheels.

Last edited:
I believe the separated spokes is the norm, I have seen one welded to a disk but it looked non original. Possibly they separated the spokes so in the event of a crash to allow it to collapse?

I wondered about the safety aspect, yet I do not recall seeing unconnected spokes on wheels from the other well known manufacturers. When the center connecting collar is removed, are the spokes tight or loose? Besides, most of the hubs/collars look like they are designed to collapse upon the unthinkable happening.

momo-steering-wheel-hub-adapter_LRG.jpg

$_1.JPG

Here are the innards of the Petri hubs (longer one on the left is the CSL version), I suppose the design is collapsable but not to the extent of the other styles you posted:

DSC00120_zps91384341.jpg

I wondered about the safety aspect, yet I do not recall seeing unconnected spokes on wheels from the other well known manufacturers. When the center connecting collar is removed, are the spokes tight or loose? Besides, most of the hubs/collars look like they are designed to collapse upon the unthinkable happening.

]

i have seen and worked in some petris, they all came with the three spokes spot welded to a very thin disk, and then all the lot bolted to the aluminium hub

when comparing hubs, those black ones are made of steel while the petri hubs are aluminium ???, i guess the will behave in a similar way, but in the other hand in our e9 the steering shaft is collapsible too

My 40cm Petri has the center ring, whereas my 38cm Petri does not. Don't see any spot weld marks on the 38, so I believe it was not fitted with the ring originally. Both are original BMW fitments (with correct CS and CSL hubs) and not from VW's.

I've just had a Petri wheel recovered by Chris Scow in TX and wanted to post a couple of pictures of his work, in case anyones looking for this type of service. I think he does really great work, and he's a pleasure to deal with, This is the second wheel he's done for me, he offers lots of options, is reasonable and turned this around in less than a week. If you're looking to have a wheel recovered he'd be my first stop.

I had the Alpina wheel from my E24 done by Chris Scow and much praise for his work. Plus your choice of stitch type and thread color at no extra charge. Shipping with FedEx was $15 each way

ok so maybe I didn't get the stitching or the leather right and I probably won't even have the correct hub when everything's done but you can't argue with my new window sticker!

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 179

momo-steering-wheel-hub-adapter_LRG.jpg

$_1.JPG
the lower one is a retrofitted one from EGO BGO (biggest ego) and sold on ebay. it is NOT an original Petri hub

What do others think of the Petri wheels sold on EGO BGO on EBay? There are a couple for sale now at $1000 each.

I've read a few negative remarks about pricing on this forum, but I don't think those members have actually done business with the seller. I as well as some other forum members have bought some parts from him and had zero issues. I thought the price was spot on given the rarity of what I was seeking (vintage Alpina horn button). I anticipate that I will be purchasing parts from him in the future because they are difficult to find, and he can get what I need.

Petri wheels have gone up in price even since I joined this forum a short time ago. There is evidence of this price jump in the classifieds section now. You can find a wheel for a good price but a wheel/hub/ring/screw/horn combo is much tougher to piece together, and not necessarily cheaper. I think it boils down into how quickly you want a wheel, and how much time you want to spend hunting for parts. I know at least one forum member that has been looking for a hub for a few months now...

Where in Texas is this chap??

Also, regarding the separated spokes, indeed that is a safety "idea", it did not work very well because most drivers of the day had very strong arms and would literally push the wheel off the hub exposing their chest, or lower jaw to the horn hub.

Contact HansW perhaps he can hook you up with a nice Petri with all the correct parts.

I've read a few negative remarks about pricing on this forum, but I don't think those members have actually done business with the seller. I as well as some other forum members have bought some parts from him and had zero issues. I thought the price was spot on given the rarity of what I was seeking (vintage Alpina horn button). I anticipate that I will be purchasing parts from him in the future because they are difficult to find, and he can get what I need.

Petri wheels have gone up in price even since I joined this forum a short time ago. There is evidence of this price jump in the classifieds section now. You can find a wheel for a good price but a wheel/hub/ring/screw/horn combo is much tougher to piece together, and not necessarily cheaper. I think it boils down into how quickly you want a wheel, and how much time you want to spend hunting for parts. I know at least one forum member that has been looking for a hub for a few months now...
Thanks much, good to know.

Back