Petri wheel restoration recommendation?

duane_sword

Reaction score
Friends of the forum. Has anyone restored a steering wheel before?

Specifically I have an original Petri 380mm wheel that needs some love. The rim has seen better days and the spokes are very tarnished.

I am in Boston USA and wonder if there is such a place to restore steering wheels? Sure, I like patina but this has gone past that character to just plain rough.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers from Boston

duane_sword

Reaction score
Thankyou all for your suggestions and connections, I have some phone calls to make this week. Much appreciated. Will share feedback and photos once complete.

mh01919

Reaction score
I also have a Petri with chunks of the foam torn off. I've been looking for someone to restore it for a long time now with no luck. Let me know what you find. Thanks!

duane_sword

Reaction score
I contacted Dallas and they have not worked with a Petri before and don't want to start.

I will let you know what I learn. Frankly I think I will buy another Petri and restore this one and decide.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Duane,
That's strange about Dallas, I contacted Don a couple of years ago for the same reason. He had a Petri as one of the many photos on his site at the time. He sent me a quote back on the same day with a "to factory's specifications" and "turn around time of 2-3 days" so I didn't think at the time that it would have posed a problem for them. In the end, I didn't send mine out but I have the print out from Dallas for the inevitable recovering job... now I guess I'll have to follow your thread more closely.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well from your description the damage seems to be located on the rim and on the spokes
I am not sure if you need a leather-recovering job, and a metal-polishing job, or you plan to cover it with new leather

for sure you can not chrome it, I am not sure about which kind of finishing the steel has, but I propose using steel wool "0000" together with some polishing paste, it will make wonders to that aged spokes

the leather is a different issue, an expert will use sandpaper and then dye black, and then protective fat or other creams

if the leather is not possible to be recovered the alternative is new leather

I know the right man here, he can even do this: transform a petri-bmw in a petri-alpina

290720073259.jpg

vloatasio.jpg

volantetasio.jpg

summary of the work done:
- new leather
- clean and brush and finishing steel
- central plate paint in satin black
- new allen bolts
- profound plastic cleaning
- new alpina button
- modifications to install alpina button in existing hub

imag0437t.jpg

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Petri Wheel, Results?

Hi Duane,

Just checking in to see if you have an update on your Petri Wheel project. I need to have mine refinished; but have not had the best experience with AGLA (Alan Gunn).

Thank you,
Mike

duane_sword

Reaction score
I ended up getting lucky to find a great original Petri with some patina at a fair price.... And sold the tired Petri to another coupe enthusiast.

carcrazy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys- I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a place that restores petri wheels. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.