Petronix/Coil Wiring Confirmation

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
73 Euro. I am 99% sure I am correct but if not, I screw the Petronix unit. Wiring was not correct to start with. Electrical Diagram indicates:

Green to base of ballast
Black/Red to + coil
Black/red from top of ballast to + coil

Black X 2 to -coil

With pertonix red to base of ballast, black to -coil

Correct?

This is my NK but wiring is the same. The green wire from you ignition switch goes to the ballast resistor, use this terminal to run the Pertronix red wire. The black wire goes to coil - terminal where the tach wire is.

17EBF422-C1B2-444F-A2A1-2460D98CF54C.jpeg

The only thing i can add - ensure you have the correct Ohm coil for the petronix you have - i think its 3 ohm up to 6 cyl for the flame thrower standard set up

and for flame thrower 2 its 0.6 ohm

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 8.47.37 AM.png

Note that with the Flame Thrower coil the ballast resistor is bypassed. Not to be bypassed if you are using the stock coil.

I have not changed my Bavaria from the stock points/coil set up. It starts and runs too good to mess with that. I did it recently, however, to my V8 914. I changed the Mallory dual point marine dizzy to Pertronix and replaced a stock coil with the Flame Thrower 1.5 ohm. Starting is immediate and idling and running is noticeably better.

Not sure if my pertronix is already toast but my wiring in my pic below does not look right.

Based on the previous posts here and other sites, it appears the wiring should be:

Ballast (12v end)
Red pertronix
Green ignition (with red pertronix)

Other End of Ballast
Black/red wires with 1 connector

+ Coil
1 of the black/red wires from ballast above
Single black wire to starter + coil?(currently on one side of ballast)

- Coil
Pertronix black wire
2 black wires with 1 connector
BF3494A8-0EE2-404E-81B4-333D3233D369.jpeg

Also, see my post #7 in this thread. Use the diagram to the right in Chris' post if you are using the stock coil and the middle diagram if you are using the Pertronix Flame Thrower coil.

Back