Phew, I feel a little flushed - Emma Peel's Lotus

Diana Rigg - nuff said
bb396dd2ced8dec39faf803b16168fa6[1].jpg

3dba7b2403b2888e57cf07f69f3d7d30[1].png

One of my grad school professors had a '62 Elan. First real 'sports car' I ever rode in or drove. Changed my automobile focus for the rest of my life. My research advisor prof also had a series 1 e-type. When he took a couple weeks vacation in the summers, he gave me the keys and told me to 'mind the cats and car' while he was gone. Terrible duty!

Gary

This morning, I remembered a bit of 'closure' regarding that Lotus Elan.

About 4 -5 years after my Lotus 'ride' mentioned above (we were in the Phoenix area), the Prof had taken a job at U. of Georgetown. He was a good driver and a good chemist, but he was not a mechanic or electrician. After about 4 months of living in DC with the Lotus, he became fed up with the 'issues' the car had. One Saturday, he parked it in front of a bar in G-town, walked in and promptly announced: "There is a red Lotus parked on the street out front and I have the title in my hand. Anyone who wants to give me $200 can have the keys, the car, and the title". After receiving ten $20 bills, he took a taxi to the Alfa dealer and bought an Alfa GT. Unfortunately, I was becoming very involved in my job of about a year, and we lost contact with each other, so I didn't learn whether the Alfa was an upgrade in regard to maintenance issues! - ha.

Gary

Last edited:
Back