Philosophical Question - '74 coupe value vs '73 coupe value

recoupe

Reaction score
I am poised to purchase a Coupe that was described as a '73 but is really a US model '74 retrofitted with what appear to be '73 bumpers. The car appears to be in excellent shape with upgraded driveline.

Do I care that the car is not a '73 from a long term collectability standpoint?

Thanks for any feedback

Recoupe

1973 911S
1959 Convertible D

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Buy it. Drive it. Keep it running. Enjoy it!.

Unless you are making a concourse show car it seems hardly worth worrying about.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Provided the conversion was done correctly. If not, then the value of the converted car could suffer. The bumper openings on these two coupes differ so some areas would need to be welded up to simulate the appearance of the chrome bumper cars.

As far as the collectibilites of the CS coupes, the high money collectible status may never come, so enjoy your CS for what it is, a highly desirable vintage BMW coupe. There is absolutely no difference in price value between two liked condition chrome bumper car and the aluminum bumper shock mounted car.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've thought about converting my '74, but the car is so original that I just can't justify the action. I'd rather search for a real chrome bumper car, but since I haven't felt compelled to do that (knowing that it would have to be a really exceptional car to replace what I have), I'm perfectly happy driving and enjoying my '74.

Tyler

Reaction score
If you are in CA, then I believe it makes a big difference, as a '73 car will be smog exempt, but a '74 is not. This is relevant especially if you want to do any performance mods or take off the smog equipment. I recall the program was supposed to be rolling 20 years, but they subseqently ended the roll in 1993, effectively making 1973 the last smog exempt year. Or, perhaps I am wrong...

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Big bumpers vs Small ones--unlike many males oft stated

preference for LARGE ones--it simply doesn't hold true with Coupes

With big bumpered ones--irrespective of color or equipment experience real buyer resistence on the part of newbies to Coupe ownership and most seasoned owners of these cars--smaller is simply better. Also--if an original car--the 1974 US models were burdened with that nightmare of smog plumbing and the abomniable thermal reactor--a major enemy of cylinder heads--now that 1974 models are smog exempt that disadvantage can be overcome here in California--nevertheless--the big bumpered car is kind of like the ugly duckling in the minds of many--and--the resistance to buy same if a choice is available is coupled with a price penalty absorbed by the seller--this is reality!!

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thermal reactors

Thermal reactors aka thermal head crackers. If it is similar to the 1978 US 530 (a car in my past) - removal does nothing to affect drivability and lots to improve engine longevitiy. And I sailed through Maryland smog inspection every time. Of course they did not look under the hood.

So you could get a 74, remove the thermal reactors, and retrofit Euro bumpers, but as noted above - why not wait for a 72 or 73. Just my two cents.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
bumpers

My 74 now has a 72 look front and rear. To me its personal preference, because of what I first fell in love with. I also prefer the upholstery(verical, instead of horizontal quilted channels) in the earlier models,and plan that change this winter. The bigger bumpers probably do add some protection, and are much better for tail-gating. The e9 is already a long proportion, and the big bumpers, IMHO hurt the design.

My big question might be 'if the car year was mis-represented, what else is less than 100% true?'
Dave V. in western NC