Pictures of my new M5 and the Coupe

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well at least it new to me...

I've lusted after the E39 M5 since they were introduced. I think me wife finally got tired of me whining about getting one and let me do it.

I looked at quite a few before finding this one.

It's a 2003 with 51k miles, Sterling silver over Black and Grey Napa leather. It's in incredible condition- no paint work ever and the interior looks new.

If you haven't driven one, you should!

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd295/biology_book/M5 and Coupe/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
e39

And be sure to read everything you can about your e39 on Bimmerfest, especially the cooling system, thrust arm bushings, the climate system's FSU (FSR?), rear door vapor barriers, etc. I only have a 525i but these cars require careful attention to details and warning signs. I have had to deal with all of the above and more.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
What is it with those vapor barriers? Mine took a holiday a few weeks ago, the carpet on both sides was soaked.

Once I dried the floor out, it rained again for days but there were no leaks.

I recaulked one side about a year ago, FWIW. I hate intermittent failures.

Oh, and you forgot rear window regulators, those are crap.

Still overall the best daily driver I've ever had. ('98 528i)

Oh, Nice M5!

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did quite a bit of digging on the M5Board site before buying this car and there was a very long thread on the vapor barrier issue. When I had the pre purchase inspection completed the technician mentioned the vapor barriers as a potential issue for these cars. I had never heard of it before. We had a 2000 528it (five speed, sport package) for five years as daily driver in oregon and never had any problems with moisture.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The vapor barrier is an easy fix but you need to pull the door panel, it separates at the rear lower corner. BMW's quality isn't what it used to be but the e39 is still a great car. Except the stereo, oh yeah, and the leaking power steering hoses, the disappearing dash cluster pixels, the remote that only works within ten feet of the trunk unless you hold it to your chin, sports suspension that consumes tires every 10k miles. LOL.