Please help. Kidney needed for Mike Rivera

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some of you know Rey Rivera, BMW guy extraordinaire and, more importantly, human being extraordinaire. Sadly, his brother Mike has a serious kidney disease. We were doing a rally with him and Rey a few months ago in his incredible 3.0s and he had to abort the rally to go to dialysis.

The situation has gotten worse recently and the only recourse now is a kidney transplant. I will let Rey explain it from here but please, if nothing else, read this and spread the word. And of course any help beyond that would be fantastic.

instagram link:

Text in case the link doesn’t work:

Mike Rivera’s Kidney Pursuit​

Mike-Ray-min.jpeg

Many of my friends are aware that my younger brother Mike has congenital kidney disease and has been dealing with kidney failure and dialysis for over 6 years. Mike is enduring dialysis four times per week for 4 hours at a time and it is keeping him alive. We have noticed a serious decline in Mike’s health in the last 6 months.
I have been tested and they cannot harvest my kidney because I too have complications with my kidneys.
My biggest fear is that my brother Mike will die on dialysis if he doesn’t receive a donor kidney soon. A transplant would offer him more freedom and the ability to live a longer, healthier, more normal life. A transplant would also give him more time to do the fun things he enjoys most, like spending time with his family and friends.
However, finding a kidney for a transplant is not easy. Just ask the 100,000+ people on the waiting list for a deceased donor kidney. Time is not on our side. Some wait for years; many die while waiting. The average wait time is 5 years or more for a kidney from a deceased donor. However, there is another option: receiving a kidney from a living donor.
Asking a family member or a friend to consider donating a kidney to Mike is difficult, but it greatly improves his chances of getting a transplant. A living kidney donation typically lasts longer and has better function.
You might not know a lot about living donation – I know I didn’t before kidney disease affected my family’s life. Understandably, some people are afraid about the surgery and what living with one kidney will mean for them. But…

Here’s some basic information about kidney donation​

• You only need one kidney to live a healthy, long life.
  • Most donor surgery is done laparoscopically, meaning through tiny incisions.
  • The recuperation period is usually fairly quick, generally two weeks.
  • The cost of your evaluation and surgery will be covered by Mike’s insurance. The hospital can give you extensive information on this.
  • You will have a separate team of healthcare professionals to evaluate you as a living donor. Their job is to help you understand the risks and benefits and look out for YOUR best interests.
You can also learn more about living donation on the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) website: www.kidney.org/livingdonation or by contacting the NKF’s free, confidential helpline at 855.NKF.CARES (855.653.2273) or [email protected]. If you want to talk to someone who’s already donated a kidney, NKF can also help.
Thank you for taking the time to read Mike’s story. If donating a kidney to my brother is something you would like to consider, We would be happy to tell you more about his story and explore the process of determining if you are a match for him. You can also contact his transplant center directly at:

Please make sure you confirm your donation is for Miguel A. Rivera with his date of birth of 06/12/1964.
However, I know living donation may not be right for everyone — but you can still help! Consider being an organ donor after death and also, help me by sharing Mike’s story with everyone you know. At the very least, I want to bring awareness to kidney disease and living donation. I am hopeful my efforts will help Mike receive a kidney sooner and encourage others to consider helping the many people on the waitlist.
Please consider sharing this page if you know of someone who might be interested in helping Mike.

Back