Plug wire - sensor pick up?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the plug lead going to no 1 cylinder there is a pickup/sensor half way down the wire. It doesn't connect to the lead but slides over it and then disappears off into the loom. I'm sure someone told me I could do away with it but wanted to know what it is and where I remove it completely??

Any help would be great - thanks.

p.s. - Just about to attack the leaking oil sender at the rear of the engine - been annoying me for three - 4 years!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
On the plug lead going to no 1 cylinder there is a pickup/sensor half way down the wire. It doesn't connect to the lead but slides over it and then disappears off into the loom. I'm sure someone told me I could do away with it but wanted to know what it is and where I remove it completely??

Any help would be great - thanks.

p.s. - Just about to attack the leaking oil sender at the rear of the engine - been annoying me for three - 4 years!

maybe you can post a photo of the "thing" you are mentioning

that way I can understand what you are asking for and maybe that way I can help

regards

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
The part in question is an inductive pickup from that spark plug wire and goes to an orange diagnostic plug located on the top of the front of the engine.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Bill, is it ok to leave it off then as long as I am not using the diagnostic?

Many thanks.

Rohan

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The part in question is an inductive pickup from that spark plug wire and goes to an orange diagnostic plug located on the top of the front of the engine.
hi, bill

now I understand,

yes my mechanich told me that it was a diagnosis thing, but nobody told me never about that orange plug

but, one is in the opposite side of the other, how can you connect them ?

and where are you reading the diagnosis ?

regards

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Engine Diagnostics

When E9s were new, BMW dealers had a large piece of test equipment called a Program Tester that plugged into the car through the orange plugs. It gave test data for things like ignition dwell and timing. You can see pictures and description of use if you have the factory "Blue Books" shop manuals.

I've heard of owners using some of the plug socket pins to hook up remote starter switches, but there is no practical use for the plug wire pickup that I can think of, so removing them is safe.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thats great guys - thanks.

I may as well re install it then as it just slips over the wire.

What are the W and N plugs like deQ? I plan to order a set this week also.

Regards,

Rohan

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thats great guys - thanks.

I may as well re install it then as it just slips over the wire.

What are the W and N plugs like deQ? I plan to order a set this week also.

Regards,

Rohan

hi roh

those w&n, are not-original but very good quality plugs, 7 fresh cables with their terminals (pipes on one side, and beautiful light-brown sparows in the other), convinient price, and good service

I bought a set last week personally in w&n, but of course you can do online

by the way, It was a "great" experience to arrive in Arnsberg and depart for nearly one hour with him (written appointment was needed), not only he had my parts prepared for packaging, but he gave me a lot of advises and help with my questions and doubts about my car, I recomend the journey if possible

regards

regards

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hi roh

I bought a set last week personally in w&n, but of course you can do online

by the way, It was a "great" experience to arrive in Arnsberg and depart for nearly one hour with him (written appointment was needed), not only he had my parts prepared for packaging, but he gave me a lot of advises and help with my questions and doubts about my car, I recomend the journey if possible

regards

Did you meet Mr. W or Mr. N?

JhwShark

Reaction score
When E9s were new, BMW dealers had a large piece of test equipment called a Program Tester that plugged into the car through the orange plugs. It gave test data for things like ignition dwell and timing. You can see pictures and description of use if you have the factory "Blue Books" shop manuals.

I've heard of owners using some of the plug socket pins to hook up remote starter switches, but there is no practical use for the plug wire pickup that I can think of, so removing them is safe.

Right, the plug is a tool even if you don't have the BMW tester. You can test (jump) the starter at pin 7, test alt output at 8. I haven't tried to do anything else.

Jon
checked the diagram: the inductive pick-up on #1 is pin 4,5,6 and the pick-up on the coil is pin 2

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hi arde

mit herr albrecht, genau

I didn´t had the pleasure of meeting herr alexander this time

do you have a personal experience on visiting them ?

regards

Never been there, but I visit Carl Nelson whenever I am in San Diego. Lining up a trip in a couple of weeks. I am sure it is a different yet similar experience.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Never been there, but I visit Carl Nelson whenever I am in San Diego. Lining up a trip in a couple of weeks. I am sure it is a different yet similar experience.

hi

unfortunately I don´t know who Mr. nelson is, but I guess he is an homonimum of mr. walloth, does he run a spare parts bussiness ?

good luck with that trip

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hi

unfortunately I don´t know who Mr. nelson is, but I guess he is an homonimum of mr. walloth, does he run a spare parts bussiness ?

good luck with that trip

Stopped by La Jolla on Friday to do the E36 oil change, there was a flared E9 of same color as our E36, and we got to breathe around other vintage cars. James Bond wasn't around so my wife sat inside his car, she said it wasn't comfortable at all, so I pass on that one. Phew...

Attachments

• lajollaind.jpg
    lajollaind.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 74
  • aston.jpg
    aston.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 68