Power aerial query

simonb

Reaction score
Can anyone help with the installation of a power aerial on my RHD 73 cs? My current aerial is a simple "manual" one.

A wiring diagram would help.

Is the toggle swith on the panel under the streering wheel invloved? Is it hooked into the stereo somehow?

Thanks

Simon

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine has a toggle switch kind of hidden on the outside panel of the center console. I guess that depending on the radio/aerial you could eliminate the toggle switch and rely on the radio being powered.

The toggle switch should be simple, it takes 12V after one of the fuses
and the ignition switch, comes to the center of the switch, and the two other
switch contacts go to the antenna motor.

With this setup you hold the switch until the antenna is extended/retracted.
I guess you can add electronics and get fancier setups where you just touch it once.

jmackro

Reaction score
Wiring a power antenna

Most radios built in the last 20 years have a wire that is used to switch the power antenna up/down. This eliminates the need to drill a hole to add the toggle switch, and the antenna will rise whenever you turn on the radio, or whenever you turn on the ignition if the radio is already on.

Generally, the antenna has 3 connections: ground, +12 always hot, and this lead from the radio. The lead from the radio is hot whenever the radio + igniton are on. The antenna knows enough to stop pushing up the mast once it is fully raised, even though this signal stays hot throughout your drive.

Hope that helped!