Power distribution block and breaker in engine bay after battery relocation?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For those who have moved the battery to the rear seat or trunk, have you installed a distribution box in the engine bay to run your electrics from and to make it easier in case jumping is needed?

I read that the e30 and e36 have distribution blocks that could work well.

Also, did you install a circuit breaker in case something goes wrong? I read some good reviews about the Bussman High Amp circuit breaker...

Thank you.

0iw5xP5.jpg

I used the battery cable from an E30, which includes a secondary harness from the underhood main junction box to the starter and the alternator. For the underhood junction box I used one from a mid-80's GM product, and it's basically just a large stud in a red plastic box which is screwed to the firewall. I've used it very successfully for jump starting.

Thanks Mike.

Quick trip to the local Pick Your Part on my way to work this morning... $5 and a bucket of sweat later, here is an e36 power distribution block. (Cover not shown)

(Supposed to be getting in the 100's / 34's here in SoCal this weekend)

Attachments

• e36_powerblock.jpg
    e36_powerblock.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 1,188
I picked up an E46 power block from ebay. Havent mounted it yet, but will go where the battery tray used to be.

Like many others on the forum, put two Odyssey PC680's in the rear seat area.

Got "Fastronix High Current Master Battery Disconnect Switch Kit" from Amazon ... mounted on the driver side rear seat deck.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,760
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 756
This is what I had installed in my car:

20151108_115715.jpg

I did not do a whole car breaker; my car has carbs and the entire electrical system is pretty simple. A breaker is as likely to cause as it is prevent problems in a car as simple as mine.

Back