Power Steering bracket

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting all the accessories back on my rebuilt M30B35 engine. I would like to use the newer alternator bracket (since it adjusts better and is more resistant to twisting than the stock CS bracket). However, no part of the newer bracket extends below the bottom of the engine block. So there is nothing to attach the PS pump to. The old bracket uses the same block mounting holes but has a leg that extends to a bolt hole at the bottom of the oil pan. I am considering cutting and welding the bottom section onto the newer bracket. Or, fabricating some plates to connect the newer bracket to the trimmed lower section of the older bracket.

Has anyone come up with a hybrid system?

Thanks.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does someone have a photo of the newer bracket to compare? I have not had any twisting issues with my stock bracket, how does the newer one prevent this from happening?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is a modification I am trying out. I cut the bottom section off the PS bracket and used a custom steel angle to connect the two pieces. It feels sturdy.

Twist - the original adjustable arm (about 6" long with the long slot) has more flex than the new bracket. It could also be that the rubber isolators were too soft and/or the belt too tight.

Some pics...

Attachments

• psBrackets1.jpg
    psBrackets1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 140
  • psBrackets2.jpg
    psBrackets2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 141
  • psBrackets.jpg
    psBrackets.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 140

jmackro

Reaction score
Working on a problem like this with the engine & subframe out of the car is cheating! Plus, you're missing all the fun of crawling under your coupe.

But seriously, from your photos, we can see how the two brackets differ. Since they're aluminum, I guess you decided to use the steel angle bracket to join the old and new pieces, rather than welding. My only concern is that the old bracket might fracture in the vicinity of the two bolts that attach to the steel angle - the stress is concentrated at those two points.

Were you still able to pick up the mounting boss at the bottom of the oil pan? If so, you'll probably be OK.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welding is still a possibility, although the pieces do not overlap much. Yes, the boss on the bottom of the oil pan will be used. I had not installed the bolt when I took the photo.

I have put in my share of time under the car, reaching up blindly into the engine bay, tearing skin, greasy grit falling into my eyes... I am looking forward to the satisfaction of lowering the car body onto the completed subframe & engine assembly.