Power steering pump question

tmason

Reaction score
I started my car up over the weekend and the power steering is making some weird noise?I check the fluid level and it's about half full,belt is tight. I didn't have any problem before letting it sit for a couple of months. Thanks in advance for any suggestion. Tim

DJSimca

Reaction score
When you say 'started up' did you actually drive the car?

Are the 'weird noises' coming from the belt or the pump itself? Can the noises be heard only in the fully extended right or left position of the wheels or also in the middle position?

I am not sure, but I think the fluid container is supposed to be full - I believe there are fluid level markings inside the container.

tmason

Reaction score
Yes, I drove it around the block or two and it was more noisy when you turn the wheel.I will look inside to see if there is a mark for level of fluid? Thanks Tim

Mario L.

Reaction score
PS pumps can make noise if they have a leak on the intake side that sucks in air. The stock CS Coupe pump is ussually a steel bodied piece, and the leak may not create a loss of fluid, but only allow air to enter the system in use . .

Mario L.

www.VSR1.com

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Hi Mario
Thanks for your input.This sounds more like my problem.Do you remove the pump and replace a gasket to fix this noise? Thanks

steve in reno

Reaction score
Tim
Did you top off the fluid reservoir?
When running power steering pump with not enough fluid, air is induced into the system and will create noise, especially when turning, and pump failure if not corrected.
When this has happened to me in the past I topped off and went for a drive. Recheck the fluid level after 5 minutes and refill as necessary. Noise should stop. or will indicate that repair is necessary.
I purchased a used one off of fleabay for $20 and has been perfect. Didn't try to repair old unit.
HTH
steve

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I haven't filled up so I will do this 1st,it was about 1/2 full when I check.
Have you had your coupe out this fall? Tim

steve in reno

Reaction score
Tim
I drive my coupe whenever the weather isn't crappy, or windy.
No garage queen here.
With yours, I know of 6 in the city, and suspect 1 or 2 others. There is a ceylon 3.0 that is owned be an older lady in the old southwest area.
I believe that mine is the oldest.
steve

tmason

Reaction score
I had no idea that there is that many in town? I have seen you driving around a couple of times but never any others. My is a garage queen and I'm in the middle of bead blasting my wheels. Tim

steve in reno

Reaction score
Tim
I must admit I have only seen one.the Ceylon, being driven.
Met another owner at historic's race in Fernley, 1975 csi. 2 others at my mechanics.
They are too much fun, to drive, to leave in the garage!
Did 1500 miles trip last year to my son's wedding in Idaho. Another trip the year before up the calif/Oregon coast 1500 miles.
steve