Pre-purchase opinion

66toaster

Reaction score
Have looked at a well maintained coupe with over 130k miles for possible first time purchase. How much is high mileage a negative & how should it effect price?

acat2002

Reaction score
I don't think 130k is necessarily high for a well-maintained coupe that is 35+ years old - IMHO.

I'd rather own a clean, straight 130k-mile coupe than a rusted coupe w/ 40k.

Mechanical parts are cheap (relative to the trim and other bits).
Focus on the body, trim and interior.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you buy this or another coupe(and I agree with the poster, 130K original in good shape rust/body wise) let me know. I am in Bucks County, and have connected with four other coupe owners in the immediate area. We are planning on attending the New Hope Auto Show on Sunday, Aug 9 with as many as six coupes plus rare 2000CS all the way from Brooklyn.

If you want a current coupe owner to eyeball the car before you purchase let me know.

We are all in this asylum together.

Steve ONeill
74CSi
Feel free to call 215.620.7687

jmackro

Reaction score
As my buddy acat says, 130,000 miles is nothing in a 35+ year old car. Assuming it is a 1972, that works out to 130,000 miles / 37 years = 3,513 miles per year. Jeez, these things aren't Ferraris - people drive them - they don't just collect them. So an average of only 3,500 miles per year seems pretty low to me.

Coupe engines pretty much last forever. My 2800 has 180K on it, and still is pretty tight. And as acat says, the mechanicals are cheap to repair even when they eventually do wear out. It is the condition of the body that you need to worry about.