preparing CSL for sale

mike s

Reaction score
I believe it is time sell my '73 3.0 CSL. This is a tough decision due to my strange emotional attachment to these cars. My first '73 coupe carried me across most of the US, albiet with a heavilly stocked toolbox. I welded a full roll cage into the car which really helped give the noodle of a "frame' some rigidity. Complete with Recaros and a multitude of speakers I toured a great deal of the US at triple digit speads, crossing Montana and Texas in no time. Schroth harnessed with the false confidence of new college degree. Other than the constant buzzing of a close ratio 5 speed, 3.64 gears and constant wind noise of a true coupe I was in my equivalent of automotive nirvana. Then came marriage, a baby, a 2000 mile move, and too many BMW's. The 3.0 CS and the 45 side draft 304 Schrick Tii were vanquished in favor of a 5.2L Jeep Grand Cherokee, more aplicable to Chicago's winters.
About 17 years later I decided I needed something, the coupe virus dormant for so long. I spent 2 years literally obsessing over buying another 3.0. I searched these boards nightly looking for something to substitute for my failing marriage. I found my girlfiend, a near perfect Baikal 1973 3.0 CSL with 44,000 miles. I bought her for my birthday. My marriage survived a truly evil external influence, barely. What held me together through much of the last year of hell was the CSL, as sick as that may be. I am sure it was cheaper than a real girlfriend? For the last couple of years I drove the car several days each week alternating with an '01 M3. I found both a true delight. As good as the technology and speed of 28 additional years of engineering I have always felt the coupe held its own against the M3. I would sometimes come home mid-day to just switch cars for the hell of it. We all drive and devout ourselves to these dinosours for our own reasons. I just thought I would share some of mine. Since I check this web site regularly, I am sad I almost never respond. Too preoccupied with a new medical practice and 6 children. Having moved from San Diego, an old car hotspot to Texarkana, TX, a truck hot spot, I am not sure if either of us fit in. It sure is a nice spot to settle down once you get past jesting at the name. Who knows maybe I'll change my mind again.

? Need to fix the passenger window regulator. A non repairable pin snapped. Does the Bavaria window crank bolt in? That's really all I needed to know.

Silent for too long,
Mike S

Back