Preserving automotive information. Article by Hagerty

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good article and a conversation worth having.

I think we are rapidly approaching a time when deep automotive technical knowledge will become scarce because the apprentice model that has been used for a century to pass down automotive information is coming to an end.

Few today learn about welding and grinding and sheet metal assembly and casting as I did in high school shop class. Dealers no longer train "mechanics" and indeed many of the technicians who work in dealer service departments do not understand automotive technology. Instead, they read codes and replace modules. These workers are not developing the skills that would allow them to leave their jobs at the dealers, work for a few years for an independent shop, and then open up their own automotive repair shops. So, I agree with Hagerty that the problem is upon us.

I recall having a conversation with HBChris recently about the idea of commissioning a series of articles on the artisans who make a living refurbishing our cars before they all ride off into the sunset. A component part of Chris’ idea was to capture and preserve at least some of the deep knowledge these folks have obtained through years of hard work. A great idea, but a big undertaking.

I recall too Peter Coomaraswamy was thinking about turning the best of the e9coupe forum into a book a few years ago. This is another very cool idea, but also a massive undertaking. Since then our intrepid moderators have greatly expanded our FAQs and created a DIY section on the forum. This is working very well, but the Hagerty’s article raises the question of how persistent his may be.

I’m obviously suggesting old school printed solutions to the problem Hagerty’s presents, in large part because I'm not savvy enough on the technology side to add much there.

I’m interested in what other folks think.