Pretty Special 2500 E3 FS

Christoph

Reaction score
This used to be such a beautiful car. In the early 10s it was featured by a British classic car magazine. Shortly after it came to central Germany, acquired by a gentleman who does historic rallying on an advanced level. He chose RHD because it suited him better for regularity trials. The 2500 did not see many rallies as the driver found he needed more power and went for a 3 litre E3 instead. In the ad there are pictures of the magazine and the rallying.

In 2016 it went to market, still with the original wheelcaps and without headrests, also original. Another ad from 2021 shows the car largely unaltered, still very pretty inside and out. Only someone had retrofitted headrests, a somewhat ridiculous GB sticker, and the slightly incorrect BBS wheels it wears today. The headrests must have been put in in a hurry, note the absence of the trim rings around the mounting holes. Some time after it came to America. Someone put in those headlights, painted the valve cover black, the oil filler cap golden, removed the front bumper and fitted what seems to be an off-road suspension kit. This 2500 deserved a keeper with an eye for the value of originality. Unfortunately, things went not like that.

Christoph

Reaction score
Very nice. I do like the color. I believe my interior looked like that at some point.(long ago, in galaxy far away...)
Thanks Dick.
Lot of work done. Curious about the center line trim on a 2500. Was that standard on all e3's after 71?
Seems like BAT would be a better venue for this.
The colour is great, agree. I know at least one E3-Club guy who would try to steal a Tundra car for the colour alone.

Your interior looked different. Series 1 cars had full-width corduroy on the seats, the fabric was quite different and not as light. What we have here is correct for any 2500/2800 Series 2. Only in late summer 1972 for beige interiors the colour of the vinyl was changed from brown (Goldbraun) to beige (Nylonbraun). The 3 litre models had the same fabric, only the cut differed a little.

I don't think they did a lot of work on this car. It was probably repainted at some point.

The beltline trim appeared in spring 1971 with the Series 2. One of the clever modifications that turned the sixties' Series 1 E3 into a seventies looking car. It came in two versions. The 2500, 2800 and the Bavaria had an eight piece set running across the sides. The 3.0 & 3.3 models got the nine piece set that went around the rear corners and across the bootlid.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the history on the car, Christoph. I agree that it would look much better with the bumper, the correct ride height, and the original steel wheels with hubcaps and trim rings. I could live with the tacked on headrests but would rather the car didn't have them. The seller says he has the bumper. Do you have any knowledge of the selling price of the car in the past? I was thinking that it should be at least a 25k USD car as is.

Christoph

Reaction score
Do you have any knowledge of the selling price of the car in the past? I was thinking that it should be at least a 25k USD car as is.
Sadly, no. Asking price in 2016 was 15000 Euros. For how much it went I don't know.

Corrigendum: The 2500 must have come to the USA before 2020. I found the 2021 (or before) ad on an archive page, did not remember that. It says: "owner has had it for one year". Location was Fleming Island, Florida, no price given.

Note: The licence plates "MCY195K" are original to the car. It was last taxed in GB in September 2012, so must have left the country before October 2013.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score

A H7 is the single filament equivalent bulb with the same mounting configuration as an H4.

Comparison:

1678550412712.png

Practically H7 is much less durable (used in low beam) as it is working with higher temperature having less metal ring to cool it (interface with reflector metal is not a efficient to cool it down efficient).

Buy purpose they have also different dimensions.

It is good to have the same bulb for high and low beams reflectors. It is very handy when you are running long trip and your low beam brake. I was typically using the one from high beam and was able to run further.

For cars having noth H4 it is even better as high beams can use still H4 with failed low beam's filament. It is kind a economic and eco approach. ;)

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The colour is great, agree. I know at least one E3-Club guy who would try to steal a Tundra car for the colour alone.

Your interior looked different. Series 1 cars had full-width corduroy on the seats, the fabric was quite different and not as light. What we have here is correct for any 2500/2800 Series 2. Only in late summer 1972 for beige interiors the colour of the vinyl was changed from brown (Goldbraun) to beige (Nylonbraun). The 3 litre models had the same fabric, only the cut differed a little.

I don't think they did a lot of work on this car. It was probably repainted at some point.

The beltline trim appeared in spring 1971 with the Series 2. One of the clever modifications that turned the sixties' Series 1 E3 into a seventies looking car. It came in two versions. The 2500, 2800 and the Bavaria had an eight piece set running across the sides. The 3.0 & 3.3 models got the nine piece set that went around the rear corners and across the bootlid.
Thanks Christoph: you are correct, what is left of the seats is a fabric and they are not the "horseshoe" as described by World Upholstery.