Prop Shaft Questions, Bush to transmission, End Collar

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score

Propshaft Bush

I have noticed that my prop shaft, which I think is standard, has a metal bush in the end where it joins the transmission, ie near the guibo. This effectively allows the output shaft of the transmission to run inside the end of the prop shaft, I guess it is to centre it inside the guibo.
The replacement prop shaft that I got with my 5 speed has a rubber bush in the end, it seems damaged.
I don't see the metal bush on the WnN web page. But there is a rubber bush part number A26111100891 drawing item 26/03/02 and the diagram shows the spring etc.
I plan to keep the original prop shaft so the car can be put back to standard 4 speed, so I will use the replacement that I got with the 5 speed trans.

• Do I have prop shafts from a different car?
  • Are these bushes important? I assume yes.
  • Is this bush something that the engineering company that is checking the prop, changing the UJ's and balancing, should check and change?

Prop Shaft Collar.
Sorry for the dumb question,
  • What is this threaded collar that is fitted to the joint between the two halfs of the prop shaft for?
  • What do I do with it, any adjustment?
  • Is it supposed to be a lock the shafts, or keep dirt out? Mine are rusted up.

As ever, thanks for any help or suggestions.

The threaded collar compresses a rubber bushings that sits between the drive shaft and the collar nut.

Yes it keeps dirt out, but I guess the main purpose is to lock the length adjustment of the driveshaft.

And the bits inside the propshaft were available from the dealer some 3-4 years ago. (a slide bearing and a spring if im right. There's also a tapered foam ring somewhere in the prop shaft, though I cant remember where exactly)

Back