pulling bavaria engine......

klerk

Reaction score
pulling a bavaria engine this weekend for an engine transplant. If i am pulling the block/head/carbs as one, where should i mount the engine hoist chains?

also, i have the option to pull the tranny with the block if i need to. anyone know if its easier to do so?

TIA

steve in reno

Reaction score
pulling a bavaria engine

Pull engine with tranny, take off head/intakes after removal.
Pulling with tranny is probaly easiest for first timers.
When installing motor in your cs, does it need new clutch, guibo, etc?
Always install new throw out bearing. It is cheap and the most likely item to fail.
If your not installing a 5 sp, wait until you find one, because you will want that next! Make it a winter project.
After 25 years of ownership, the 5sp addition, was the best upgrade I ever did to my cs.
my $.02
ymmv
steve in reno

klerk

Reaction score
i was planning on using the head currently on the bavaria en

steve

the bavaria engine was rebuilt about 9 years ago, and was only driven about 10K miles in that time. was planning on keeping the head that came with this engine for now. besides replacing the fluids and checking gaskets/hoses/etc (and the items you mentiones previously) do you see a problem with that? the car is is going into has an automatic transmission, which will be staying (for now).

TIA

steve in reno

Reaction score
pulling bavaria motor

Klerk
sorry misunderstood your first post.
Chains/tang for pulling motor should be attached to front and rear intake bolts. Check your manual for their recommendations. But that is where I used. I pulled with intakes/carbs on, but can be removed instead for easier lift.
There are many parts that removal will facilitate easier removal also, ie: alternator, oil filter. Rad and fan will need to be removed.
Since you are putting in auto trans remove with tranny. Much easier reinstall due to weight of trans. Remove all of the under car parts first, then lower some to do pull.
Go slow on first removal to become familiar with parts. Don't forget to remove the ground strap from trans to firewall.
The first one will be the hardest, but 2nd will go quick.
HAVE HELP! You will need it.
USE MANUAL PROCEDURES, they know the steps and need to be in sequence listed.
This is not particularly hard, but time consuming and dirty. If you have the ability, clean both engines and bays before work with spray.
Take your time and don't get in a hurry. If you don't do it right, you will have to back track and will take longer.
Keep track of your bolts/nuts and parts. Mark with tape and writing as to location for wiring for proper reinstallation. Especially if done over longer periods of time.
Replace all hoses to carbs and water pump since you are there. Motor mounts also. Source these before start of project, so you are ready.

steve in reno