Q fr California residents on 1976 models and smog/registration

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My understanding is that cars 1976 and later must have the smog equipment (installed and functioning) they had when sold new in 1976 in order for a vehicle to be registered in California. Is that correct?

So what happens if you have a 1976 Canadian version of a car which in its day wasn't required to have the smog equipment US/California cars did? Can it be registered in California?

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't been held to having the _same_ smog equipment as when it was new, but the car must pass smog even if it didn't sell with smog equipment originally. That means adding necessary equipment. I suspect your car will come under more scrutiny because it wasn't originally a California car. Flowmaster sells CA legal catalytic converters for cheap--just be careful you get the right one. I added a Flowmaster to my car and passed with flying colors even though it is clearly not an original dealer part. I also had a visual inspection.

HTH

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CA requires all smog equipment to be functioning and it must pass the test. Even a 49 state car is problematic here. If you follow BaT, there have been several cars that weren't originally sold here, like an 850 Fiat, that they wouldn't approve, makes no sense.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks almost impossible!

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB).

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's actually not a car I am considering being sold in California, initially Canadian delivery in '76 and my feeling is that perhaps its value as a collector car in California is greatly diminished by the fact that it can't be legally registered driven and enjoyed there.