Question about CSL Arch Trim

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question for the illuminati: were there ever stainless arches actually mounted on CSLs between 1972 and 1975? I was under the impression that the original pieces "back in the day" were chrome-plated brass, and that the stainless steel ones available through BMW were replacement parts...maybe they had the BMW-assigned part numbers, but were NOT "as originally used"

Can anyone confirm/deny/trash talk the hell outta me for asking?

phelpsie

Orangener

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly.
I´m like a rat, when I see E9-parts, I snap the bite ! I had a few of those old, used CSL-wheel-arch chrome things in hand. And all of them were chromed brass!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that the originals were stainless steel.

Regards,

Rohan

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is my replicated reponse regarding this issue from the 'Parts' section.

Bert, I am pretty sure that they were stainless - how do you know different?

Regards,

Rohan

Three things! The insides were not chromed, just unfinished brass, just liked the rear license plate trim piece that came with the 2800CS. They are also relatively heavy compared to either cheaper plated alloys or stainless steel units. Stainless steel can be polished to a high luster, but they do not emit the brilliant shine as can be achieved with polished chromed parts, such as the original CSL arch trims. BTW, I have a set of the originals on my coupe.

Did BMW started reproducing these arch trims recently? There have been drastic price drops with these parts. At one time, not too long ago, each corner went for about US $600, now they are about $350 each. Maybe the newer reproductions are the stainless steel versions.

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
1) the CSL arches in 1975 were chrome-plated brass
2) stainless arches are what you get now for (as one poster said) about 300 bucks a corner (?!?! that price is still 1200% higher than the aftermarket ones, though they "do" have a different profile to them)
3) I would love to know when the stainless ones crept into the supply chain, best I can recall is the late '80's. Back then NO one paid whatever BMW wanted for the stainless arches because (compared to chrome-plated brass) the stainless arches + what they cost from BMW = crap
4) a good 15 or 20 years has passed since then, and a new crop of enthusiasts may well have never seen the correct, chrome-plated brass ones. I would imagine that is especially likely in the UK or parts of europe where TuV or MoT inspections obligate repair, and so very very few L's over there (as a result) remain original unrestored examples, let alone exemplars.

Orangener

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that the originals were stainless steel.

I had a phone call with Günter, my colleague who owns CSL´s since he was 18 years old (now he is 45).
He said, that the stainless version was the first variant delivered by BMW.
The brass-version came later, and they looks a bit rounder at the edges.
Advantageous for the stainless version is, you can re-polish any dents or scratches without re-chrome them!

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
1) the CSL arches from 1972 to 1975 were chrome-plated brass
2) stainless arches are what you get now for (as one poster said) about 300 bucks a corner (?!?! that price is still 1200% higher than the aftermarket ones, though they "do" have a different profile to them)
3) the stainless ones from BMW crept into the supply chain about mid-'80's. Back then NO one paid whatever BMW wanted for the stainless arches because (compared to chrome-plated brass) the stainless arches + what they cost from BMW = crap
3a) At some point (late 80's?) the aftermarket added their stainless version(s) of wheel arches, prolly a couple of years before BMW started charging over 600 bucks apiece. I bought a set of aftermarket ones for 2270011 in 1992 or 93.
4) a good 20 or 25 years has passed since then, the current crop of new enthusiasts may have never even seen the correct, chrome-plated brass ones. I guess that is especially likely in the UK or parts of europe where TuV or MoT inspections force people to extensive regular maintenance repair, and so very very few L's remain original unrestored examples, let alone exemplars.

IMO the only time many of our merchant ex-spurts will point these facts out, is when they are buying a car, or parts....when they are selling they remain silent. Some of us still believe there's more to a high dollar CSL than the VIN number, or at least they should be. And yes, I think BMW Gmbh/MT should be ashamed for charging 5-15% of average sale value of a complete car for fracking stainless wheel arches over the years

Last edited:

ZIPZAM

Reaction score
CSL stainless wheel arches

I owned a 1972 CSL and a 1973 CSL which I restored and owned for 17 years. Both of them definitely had original equipment stainless steel wheel arches.

They were installed with a black plastic/rubber seal placed on the edge of the arch. This seal laid very flat to the body and had a squared off edge, not round, as supplied with many after market brass/chrome versions.

I will ask a friend who currently owns a very original 1975 Series 2 Batmobile, if stainless arches are original equipment on his CSL.

From personal experience in restoring my '73 CSL, it's very difficult to polish the stainless arches to a very high shine because it's a very hard material and will also show small scratches easily. When high polished, it definitely has a different look than chrome, not as bright.

I'm positive that '72 and '73 CSLs had stainless steel wheel arches as original equipment and most likely all of them did.

Just my two cents!

Last edited:

timt

Reaction score
I suggest to some that it is difficult to make definitive statements as facts without some evidential support.

I have owned my CSL since 1978 - the wheel arch trims are stainless steel and although it is highly improbable they were changed before I acquired the car I think it extremely unlikely. My car is a late 1972 manufactured RHD model, all other UK RHD cars, and the few LHD cars of the same production run, I have seen appeared to have stainless trims; in this respect I concur with Rohan (30CSL), Andi (Orangener) and ZIPZAM. As the RHD cars and LHD cars came from the same production line it would be a revelation if different materials were used for the UK cars versus the remainder ... having said that, one should bear in mind that BMW used parts as available at the time in their "parts bin", witness RHD cars with heater controls with labels in English, or in German and or with symbols only!

Surely the question should be "why the switch to chrome on brass" which is heavier and more expensive ... but shinnier and perhaps thought by BMW to be more in keeping with a model by then gaining weight and seeking to justify it's price? I don't have the answer.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys, this was precisely the reason I asked.....SO...with a post or two now skirting my invitation to trash-talk (admirable that you showed more reserve than I did) :

1) The CSL arches from 1972 to 1975 were chrome-plated brass

"every original CSL arch I had seen installed in the 80's was chrome-plated brass.

This apparently rings true and has not yet caused offense?

3) the stainless ones from BMW crept into the supply chain about mid-'80's. Back then NO one paid whatever BMW wanted for the stainless arches because (compared to chrome-plated brass) the stainless arches + what they cost from BMW = crap

"my observation was that the stainless ones were what were available from BMW NA in the mid-80's. At that time the only coupe buffs I personally was in contact with were the Fechner brothers. Cars they were working on all had brass arches. If a brass arch was damaged, the owners opted for repair of those parts rather than buy the stainless ones available through BMW NA at that time (mid 80's)"

3a) At some point (late 80's?) the aftermarket added their stainless version(s) of wheel arches, prolly a couple of years before BMW started charging over 600 bucks apiece. I bought a set of aftermarket ones for 2270011 in 1992 or 93.

4) a good 20 or 25 years has passed since then, the current crop of new enthusiasts may have never even seen the correct, chrome-plated brass ones. I guess that is especially likely in the UK or parts of europe where TuV or MoT inspections force people to extensive regular maintenance repair, and so very very few L's remain original unrestored examples, let alone exemplars.

"I believe it is likely that many readers on this forum have never seen chrome-plated brass arches, and that seems to include some long-time CSL owners. This is very interesting to me, because I never ever saw stainless steel CSL arches until the mid to late 80's. Based upon this, I would still guess that it is especially likely that many in the UK or europe have never seen the chrome-plated brass CSL arches either. To avoid getting someone's panties in a bunch, I will not hazard further guessing as to why. "

IMO the only time many of our merchant ex-spurts will point these facts out, is when they are buying a car, or parts....when they are selling they remain silent. Some of us still believe there's more to a high dollar CSL than the VIN number, or at least they should be. And yes, I think BMW Gmbh/MT should be ashamed for charging 5-15% of average sale value of a complete car for fracking stainless wheel arches over the years

"my opinion...in general the whole challenge of extracting info on a site like this isn't helped by the make-a-buck or flipper mentality in our hobby. If that opinion offends, well...I think it offensive that more of our data points are either hidden from public view unless a) someone copps a bad attitude when reading of different experience, or b) stinky bait has to be thrown out to push discussion."

One last question I have to ask MYself, the different posts in this thread represent just how many data points exactly? Perhaps it was a mistake of mine to presume my experience with 10 or 12 cars back in the late 80's to early 90's was a representative sample of world-wide experience, but it IS through discussion that more of those data points are revealed. Just kind of funny that my absolute statement (if thats what it was) was refuted by another couple of persons making their own "absolute" statements ;-)

Gerrit

Reaction score
CSL chrome arches

Hello,

I am surprised about this discussion and would have thought that this question about the CSL wheel chrome flares be already cleared up.

The originals were made of stainless steel with a somewhat square edge profile. The early replacement parts had no stickers, the later a black motorsport sticker on the inside surface with the the last 7 digits of the part number. They were packaged in brown paper and rolled in crepe band for protection with the orange part number sticker glued on top. There was at the end only one front piece available until, about three years ago as BMW made a new batch.

The brass chrome version were all accessory parts and were offered in different variations over the years, starting in the days as the E9 was still in production. Those variation in shapes and material may have to do in part with copyrights.

This is just my observation and anybody else is welcome to think otherwise.

On another note, I took my (not quite finished and still wingless) Bat 2 to the Essen show last week and the pictures are on this link:

http://www.7-forum.com/news/2010/technoclassica/bmw/bmw_3.0cls_9296-c.jpg

Cheers,

Gerrit