Question about e3/e9 armrests

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of armrests for my 72 Bavaria(see my earlier post). The question has come up: will e9 "L" shaped front armrests fit my e3 rear door armrests?

Steve

First, I suggest to move this one to either E9 Discussion or to E3 Discussion.

They won't. BMW used at least three different angled rear armrests for the E3 back then. And E9 doors are much longer than E3 regular rear doors. To be honest, I never tried or even thought about it. Easiest way to find out: measure the distance between the two mounting screws on your armrests, then do the same with E9 armrests.

Of course you can always drill holes for the plastic nuts into the door skeleton. The correct position is defined by the pull handles. Anyway, make sure before the armrests won't collide with the window crank, the ashtray, the metal trim piece or the backrest of the rear bench. I am not a bit convinced it will work but you may prove me wrong.

The only angled armrests that might fit into your Bavaria are these. They are nylon brown, i.e. beige, but different from beige leather.
51 41 1 823 205 left
51 41 1 823 206 right
They don't mention these parts in gold brown. Maybe there were none.

This made me look into my 1975 525/528 catalogue. Rear armrests may be the same as the basic E3 ones (2500/Bavaria), straight version only. There are no pictures of angled rear armrests, don't know if early E12 ever got them. Front armrests look a little shorter and use a different top part for mounting.

I won't look this time but for E12 questions you'll find a quite good documentation on <http://www.e12.de>. The owner is still working on it, it is a lifetime project.

Christoph, a lifetime and beyond for the owner. I am going to stick with the stock short flat armrests. If a pair of the "L" shaped become available I may give them a try. But my conclusion is, they may not fit, there are multiple sizes, who knows if they may work after a lot of customizing.

Thanks to all, wish me luck.

The e23 rear armrests may be closer, it being the successor to E3 as "top of the line" sedan. They have the angled front element.
1725458536844.png

Back