Question about the lower control arm replacement

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The big fat long bolt that attaches the lc arm to the subframe has a nylon locking nut. Normally those are not reusable. Do you guys always replace those with new nuts?

And the blue book is a little confusing in its use of terms. That lc arm is sometimes also called wishbone. When searching for the torque settings for that bolt the manual says under "Control arm to front axle carrier" 123 to 137 ft lbs. that seems pretty darn high. Is that correct for that bolt?

Thank you.

The big fat long bolt that attaches the lc arm to the subframe has a nylon locking nut. Normally those are not reusable. Do you guys always replace those with new nuts?

And the blue book is a little confusing in its use of terms. That lc arm is sometimes also called wishbone. When searching for the torque settings for that bolt the manual says under "Control arm to front axle carrier" 123 to 137 ft lbs. that seems pretty darn high. Is that correct for that bolt?

Thank you.

Your heading mentions "Lower" control arm. Is there an upper? ;)

Another source (Autobooks) suggests a slightly lower torque (116 ft./lbs.). Either way, the size of the nut and bolt suggest tolerance for significant torque. I can't recall without looking at one, but possible reuse of a nyloc fastener is not out of the question. One obvious issue is the nut's condition and prior use. Another issue is obtaining an accurate torque reading since the nylon "stuffing" adds friction. See, e.g., http://www.crestindustrial.com/prevailing-torque-lock-nut-values---metric.html More to ponder: https://www.fastenal.com/en/83/torque-calculator and http://www.mpi-online.com/technical/torquechart.htm

autobooks_manual_152.jpg

I used a castle nut
driiled a hole thru set aabout a hunderd

Castle nut is a great idea. I wonder why they don't come that way from the factory... seems like every other nut down there has a cotter pin. It would make so much sense. There must be a reason why this one is not...

I replaced mine with new nuts; in part because I wonder about the effect the nylon has on obtaining the proper torque.

I also replaced the bolt that was bent. Prior owner must have taken Annabelle sideways into a curb at some point. This was really messing up my steering when I first got the car.

I replaced mine with new nuts; in part because I wonder about the effect the nylon has on obtaining the proper torque.

Interesting idea. Same as what Lloyd was saying earlier. But personally, I can't possibly imagine the nylon having anything whatsoever to do with any torque above 5 or 10 ft/lbs...

Interesting idea. Same as what Lloyd was saying earlier. But personally, I can't possibly imagine the nylon having anything whatsoever to do with any torque above 5 or 10 ft/lbs...

Well, there's castle nuts, pinch nuts and nylocs, which is what Chris was referring to.

Back