Question: Rear Brake Refurbishment Parts

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've started the process of refurbishing the brakes and seem to have run into a dead end regarding parts. Both Ireland Engineering and Wallothnesch are selling the parts (seals and rings) for the fronts but nothing for the rears.

I called Ireland today and the person I spoke with said they're understanding was the parts for the rears are different from the fronts and so I've reached out to W&N to see what they say but I'm wondering if anyone has been through this process before and if there's an easy work around or supplier that has parts for both fronts and rear calipers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.58.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.58.42 PM.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.59.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.59.02 PM.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 3.02.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 3.02.23 PM.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 95

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After I pressed publish on this link I noticed that the Ireland kit is also the one used for other models like the E12/E23 etc. If these are all the same calipers or parts is it just a matter of ordering these same parts for a different model?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Use these guys in Sandy UT, highly regarded and recommended by members here

or use ReallOEM to cross reference parts to models

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I rebuilt front and rear brakes on my early E24 (vey similar brake system to E9/3/12) about 10 years ago, and I found the parts (inc new pistons) on German eBay!! Not something I would recommend, but the parts all worked great

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
Each rear caliper L/R have 2 pistons 42mm diameter
Each front caliper L/R have 4 pistons 40mm diameter

E3 E9 E12 & early E24 used same pistons, rubbers, the only difference was in brake pads mounting kits depending on what rotors car used - vented / non-vented.

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Use these guys in Sandy UT, highly regarded and recommended by members here

or use ReallOEM to cross reference parts to models
Thanks HBChris, I gave them a call yesterday and it looks like they'd be a really good option. They're in Sandy UT too, which is very close to where I live so don't have to ship!

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Each rear caliper L/R have 2 pistons 42mm diameter
Each front caliper L/R have 4 pistons 40mm diameter

E3 E9 E12 & early E24 used same pistons, rubbers, the only difference was in brake pads mounting kits depending on what rotors car used - vented / non-vented.
Thanks for the detailed info Wladek that's a huge help.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would consider to buy full, refurbished caliper (question of labor time and safety risk repairing rusty one for newbies).

They are not so sick expensive and from time to time available.

There is an example (same company AutoDoc selling in Germany, Poland etc

They can probably ship Worldwide as well.

During Black Friday Special Offer (-40%), it was possible to buy two complete calipers (L/R) for below $100 with shipping :D

BMW E9 3.0CS/i

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've started the process of refurbishing the brakes and seem to have run into a dead end regarding parts. Both Ireland Engineering and Wallothnesch are selling the parts (seals and rings) for the fronts but nothing for the rears.

I called Ireland today and the person I spoke with said they're understanding was the parts for the rears are different from the fronts and so I've reached out to W&N to see what they say but I'm wondering if anyone has been through this process before and if there's an easy work around or supplier that has parts for both fronts and rear calipers.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
One comment if you are doing the refurb yourself. Make sure to remove any rust around the portion of the piston that extends outside the bore, and when you have begun to install the piston, but before you press them all the way in, use some anti-seize around the perimeter of the end of the piston. This will slow any future rust formation.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw a comment somewhere about packing the space behind the dust cover with brake grease, I assume the modern silicon based stuff. Not done this before, but it seems a good plan with no obvious downside? I guess brake grease could escape on to the pads if the dust seal fails....