questions-questions

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had some other work to do so I've been off the site for a few weeks but I'm back working on the "grey lady". I connected up the shifter and had a few questions I hope some can help with;

This is a 5 sp conversion from an automatic (1974) and there are 2 holes in the shift platform, one in front of the other. Which hole should I use to connect to the body, the forward or rear hole? The forward hole seems to almost match perfectly with the existing self-tapping bolt that was there with the automatic. And is there some kind of spacer that goes in between the platform and the "tunnel" (body).

Is there a bushing that goes on the bottom of the stick shift?

Also, in the picture there is a nut & bolt configuration attached to the rear of the transmission that does not seem to go anywhere- does anyone know what that connects to?

If anyone has any other tips that may help please post them, my next step is to install the drive shaft, exhaust and then give her a start before sending her out for body and paint.

Thanks folks,

Attachments

• shifter3.jpg
    shifter3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 201
  • shifter4.jpg
    shifter4.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 195

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The back end of the shift platform connects to the body via a rubber AFM mount as per Carl Nelson's 5-speed conversion write up:

"Install five speed shift assembly, trans cross member (this just straddles the large openings on the bolt track) and drive shaft. To support the rear of the five-speed shift platform use an airflow meter mount (all holes are present). "

The AFM mount is a thick rubber bushing with treaded rod at each end. Fit with 10mm bolts.
EFI Air cleaner mounts from e12's, e23's, e28;s etc should also work.

I had an e12 parts car so I cut out the rear support bracket and used the stock e12 rubber bush and support.

John M

61porsche

Reaction score
5 speed conversion shift platform

Peter,

From the tech info section in the link above you should be able to view pictures of the conversion.

If I understand you correctly, the forward hole is the answer to your first question. An AFM mount, part number 13-62-1-359-216, is needed.

I'm not sure I understand the shifter question completely , but Devinder's pictures are there in the Tech section.

Best of luck.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter,

I used that empty tang as a mounting point for the exhaust which had a small bracket welded to it. Otherwise it is not used for anything.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
could someone send a link

Hi Folks,

A while back (and many times) someone has posted a link to exploded views of e9 diagrams. I am most interested in the shift platform link but is there a link that has exploded views of everything, I would be less of a pest on the forum :).

Thanks,

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic

That was what I was looking for, I did make a couple of small mods to the linkage, mostly in the bushing areas to be sure they were as tight as possible.

I finished bolting up the shift platform, correct driveshaft, CS Bearing etc and had a look inside at my "new" five-speed. Of course only to realize that I had the shift stick 180 degrees off, that was easy enough to fix. So the gas tank goes in, and then the exhaust then it should be ready for its first start in about 9 months.

Thanks to you guys for all your help-so far :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
included some pics

Hi folks, I had a couple of other questions and searched all over for diagrams; found allot but none answered these questions.

When mounting the shift rod from the transmission to the stick, does it matter which side it goes in from (right to left or vice verse- pic 1).

Also, when I got my driveshaft it came with a splined spacer (pic 2)- where does this go- do I have it on correctly?

Pic 3 was just thrown in as it's now a "five-speed"

Thanks,

Attachments

• shifter7.jpg
    shifter7.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 118
  • center suppport.jpg
    center suppport.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 128
  • five speed.jpg
    five speed.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 135

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Right or left doesn't matter much. There is actually an upgraded aftermarket part called a Double Sided Selector Rod (DSSR) which is supposed to cut down on the rotational play of the assembly. UUC makes it, but I have never tried it.

The splined spacer pic is a little blurry, but my setup looks similar. Just be sure the threaded cap is on tight, otherwise it sounds like you are dragging a chain. Took me months to figure out what it was.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Atlas!

Ready to tighten up then! Just need to get the exhaust routed and I'm good to start her up.

BTW, I was hoping to put in a new coil since I cleaned up the engine compartment. Is there a Bosch number that is relatively "universal" for this car (1974 CS dual carb).

Thanks again!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If your engine is stock then determine whether your current setup has a ballast resistor or resistor wire to protect the coil (I think 74's had the latter-but this could have been changed out at some point by a PO). This will determine the type of coil you should use. There are some threads on this. Blue coil for resistor wire, black or red for ballast resistor.